Oops, filed too far

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
JSPipes

Oops, filed too far

Post by JSPipes »

I started buffing a stem as I'm just finishing up a pipe. There was a scratch on the top that just wouldn't come out. So I went and took a look. Turned out that I filed just a little too much off there. The crack is actually the top of the airway :oops:.

So I started on a new stem for it. Drilled it, turned down a tenon and then the stem to a few thou oversized. Shaped the stem and button and started a slit as a guide (I usually save the funnel for near the end). Roughed out the stem. Then I wrapped a single layer of masking tape around the shank 1/4 of an inch in from the end.

I'm very gently sanding it flush now. Just finished the 150 grit and gave it a rinse. Obviously, the dye will come off as I bring the sanding grits up and I'll have to recolor it and blend it into the rest of the stem, but so far so good.

This is a good exersize to do if you've never tried to make a new stem for a pipe.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had to do this.
Joel
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Oops, filed too far

Post by Tyler »

JSPipes wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had to do this.
Joel
Actually you are. I never screwed up anything when I make a pipe.

:angel:

:D
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have. But it was fairly early in the process, thankfully. I hadn't applied any stain yet.

I have replaced some stems on pipes, and it's a perfect exercise in exactness and manual control.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Joel,

I did kind of the same thing with the last pipe I did. I haven't posted pictures of the completed pipe yet. When I was cutting the stem for the pipe I got to a point where a section on top of the stem looked very shiny. The more I sanded the bigger the shiny area got...turns out the shiny area was actually the delrin insert that I used for the tenon. So I had to cut another stem but fortunately the pipe was still a little ways from being completed.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
JSPipes

Re: Oops, filed too far

Post by JSPipes »

Tyler wrote:
JSPipes wrote:I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had to do this.
Joel
Actually you are. I never screwed up anything when I make a pipe.

:angel:

:D
HA!

Update. I have fit the stem and restained the pipe. The stem looks like it was the original. I'm thrilled that it came out as well as it did. I still have a little work to finish it up. Pictures will be available eventually!
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Thats why I like trim beads and shank caps! If I do have to make a new stem I don't have to match exactly the same diameter, just close enough the eye can't really tell. Now if pipe smokers will just leave the calipers at home! 8)

I have done the masking tape thing a couple times though.

David