EvGeniy #1

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
EvGeniy

EvGeniy #1

Post by EvGeniy »

It is the first pipe made by me from briar:
Length - 130 mm
Height - 44 mm
Width - 48 mm
Diameter of the chamber - 20 mm
Depth of the chamber - 35 mm
Weight - 65 gramm
Mouthpiece - ebonit.
Insert - tree [venge] (I do not know English word)
Briar - plateau Greece

Please, your responses and remarks.
If you'll find mistakes in my grammar, correct me. I'll not cry. :)
Karol

Post by Karol »

I'm assuming that you tried some different materials (not briar) before, because if this is your *first* pipe it's an incredible result. 8O It's a great looking pipe by any standards. Nice grain too. :thumb:

Karol
EvGeniy

Post by EvGeniy »

Karol wrote:I'm assuming that you tried some different materials (not briar) before, because if this is your *first* pipe it's an incredible result. 8O It's a great looking pipe by any standards. Nice grain too. :thumb:

Karol
Sanks, Karol.
Yes. I had made 4 pipes of a wild pear before it. From one I smoke aromatic mixes, one more has presented the friend, two "have burned down" in experiment with oilkuring :( .
Nick

Post by Nick »

Vey sharp. Nice proportions.
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

I'm a total noob pipe maker so I won't make comment on the shape other than to say I find it very sharp looking. It looks as if alot of time were devoted to final finishing too. Kudos to you. :thumb:

I would like to make one comment on the removal of stain, however, at your stem/shank junction. I can clearly see the ring of faint sanding and diminished stain.

As with any carving where sharp grooves and angles are involved, great care must be taken when sanding. On outside corners you stand the chance of removing too much material on the ridge whereas with inside cornering you can remove too much from the surrounding walls, leaving behind a very dark line running the groove. :dunno:

To fix this, I use magic markers on those edges and then buff it in with a piece of #000000 steel wool. I also enjoy using Micro Mesh sandpaper which is very passive in material removal but polishes very nicely.

A very excellent job overall.
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

That sure is impressive for you first try in briar Congrats :boohoo:

Other than the stain issue butch mentioned I can see nothing to complain about..mabey the shank/bowl juncktion could have been more defined when looking from the side veiw to mirror the front more..but thats just my opinion
and might also be the pictures..

All the best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
Butch_Y

Post by Butch_Y »

geigerpipes wrote:mabey the shank/bowl juncktion could have been more defined when looking from the side veiw to mirror the front more..but thats just my opinion
and might also be the pictures..
I was going to make comment on this as well but wasn't sure if it were simply the reflection.

As Tyler mentioned on my 2nd pipe, your shank/bowl junction looks almost too straight compared to the front side on your first pic. I see a small amount of material around the top section of the shank on the bowl that can be removed to make it more rounded. If you look closely at the last pic of the top of the bowl you can see that it looks like the round on the bowl extends just a bit too far outward.

Did that make sense?

As mentioned earlier, however, a very fine pipe to put your name on.
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

I can agree to the comments of Butch and Love - but for the first pipe still a very, very nice job! The "issues" are nearly not visible and comments about shape, stem/bowl junction, etc. are also mostly a little bit subjective.

Take it as an advice for your next and it'll be perfect! Congrats for the grain too!
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Just a lovely pipe! And just think, from here you get better! Wow.
EvGeniy

Post by EvGeniy »

Thanks by all for the remarks and support. Next time I'll point more attention on nuances.
The removalof stain has turned out because of removal - installation of a stem between first and second staining. Its inexact alignment after installation.
It is a pipe is made not for sale, and remain as is. Very much it would be necessary to begin to new!
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, stunning first effort in Briar. Congratulations! Very nice shape and finish overall. Can't wait to see more from you, especially with this one being so good allready. Welcome to the forum!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------