Cutty - pipe #2

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Karol

Cutty - pipe #2

Post by Karol »

Hi there
Here is my pipe number 2:

Cutty - pipe #2

Everything is the same as before, briar block predrilled (my specs) & pre-cast stem by Jan Zeman, coping saw, file and a set of abrasive papers. The shape looked all right on paper but in reality it is probably bordering on smokeablity. I finished and started again 4 times, every time taking more and more off and ended up with you can see in the album. 4th time I started I had to look away in fear I'm going too far with it. It's a skinny, long, light-weight pipe. It's so long that it barely fits into my "pipe" bag... I used a layer of Briwax mahogany spirit based dye to bring out the grain and a olive oil/bees wax (yeah I know...) based cream is responsible for the deepish brown color. There is only one (but big) flaw visible on one of the photos but I don't care much. Sorry about the photos, I was pushing the sensitivity of the ccd chip so they are on a grainy side...

To be honest I'm not entirely happy with the flow and lightly disappointed with the angle I chose. Pipe feels great in the hand (that's why I chose Cutty) and thanks to the fact that it's so light it's a pleasure to hold in mouth. Ultimately, if it smokes well I'll be 99% happy.

Any comments? Please be honest, I'm not going to go anywhere with flattery :P

Thanks!
Karol
Last edited by Karol on Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Are you kidding? That's got plenty of meat on it! I think you've done a good job of, "sanding off everything that's not a pipe" ! I can't vouch for a sideways angle and flow but from what I saw it looked pretty darn good. It is probably too canted to expect the top to remain un-charred but as one kept for one's self that is a good looking pipe, IMO. Great stem/shank junction too.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hello Karol,

That is a great pipe. I love it.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
marks

Post by marks »

that is a fine looking pipe. Impressive for only your second pipe.
obie

Post by obie »

I'm not even a cutty fan and I think it's sweet. Killer chamfer on the rim, too.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Karol, the sepia shot -- #6 -- shows the grain to the best advantage. Pipe number TWO? Gee, my second pipe I need to mount on a tripod to keep from straining my wrist when I smoke it! Nice job!
flix

Post by flix »

I agree, obie, this is a killer effort. Karol, I think you did a great job, too bad about the flaw on the bottom...otherwise a perfect pipe!
--Michael
Karol

Post by Karol »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedback! :pipe:
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Overall a very nice pipe - you can't do anything against flaws than destroy a pipe by grinding too much, so don't worry about this!
The angel of the bowl/shank seems to be a little bit too wide, but if it's smokable... Very nice grain and a wonderful smooth surface on stem and stummel - perhaps you might have to think over a more glossy finish? I like the border of the bowl!
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
Karol

Post by Karol »

Charring
All my pipes are charred on the closer edge of the bowl which is probably result of the way I'm holding pipes. It used to bother me but it's fairly easily cleanable and adds to the patina. I remember that this topic was discusses on this board earlier and I did a little research myself. The angle is roughly similar to Tom Eltang's signature Cutty. The deep rustic black finish surely helps to hide the effects of charring. There is one estate smooth Cutty from Tom on smokingpipes and the angle of the tobacco chamber is quite unbelievable:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estat ... t_ID=19084

Finish
I have only basic tools unfortunately. The plans are great and I already have my shopping list but I still need to wait for the stars to align.

Grain
The block was predrilled as I mentioned earlier. I must say, again, that everything was absolutely perfect. The general quality of briar was great as far as I can tell with my limited experience and the alignment of grain was commented on even by people who don't smoke or appreciate pipes. All credit to Jan Zeman.

Thanks for all the comments!

Karol
munkey

Post by munkey »

Very well executed, Karol!

This is a very nice pipe, regardless of being your second, though it is even more impressive that it is.

Keep up the good work and keep sharing it here.

-Scott
Tano

Post by Tano »

Hi Karol

All I can say is, if this is your second pipe, I'm impressed.
Looking forward to more.
Tano.