Opinions wanted

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nick

Opinions wanted

Post by Nick »

OK, so I'm torn. I can't decide if I like the seahorse's "shoulders." I messed around with photo-shop and below are the two pictures. If you all wouldn't mind, which do you like better and why?

Or

Note: Ignore the little notch where the shoulder began. In real life it would be a smooth transition.

Thanks guys
flix

Post by flix »

Hi Nick,

I vote for no shoulders, or, perhaps very subtle and trimmed up ones. It looks like the pipe needs to lose some more "weight".

HTH,

--Michael
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

hey Nick.. I gotta go with Flix here.. it looks like it flows better up to the stem without the shoulders. That's just my humble, not written in stone!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks guys.
custom300

Post by custom300 »

I prefer no shoulders with an overall thinning of the other aspects. Very creative design though. I applaud your ability to capture on wood what is apparently in your mind's eye. I have all of these great ideas, but when I try to transfer them to wood they just don't meet my own standard, and I end up turning them into something more traditonal.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Nick, keep it as it is - that's my opinion. Seeing some issues on my first pipes, I always thought abot corrections. In the end I decided to let the pipes as they are. For me it's a kind of history in improvement. If you want to do it better, make anotherone! :D

Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
marks

Post by marks »

I agree with Heinz in that if you have already finished the pipe, don't rework it. Paul Tatum recommended that I do that when I wanted to rework a couple of my early pipes. I am now glad I left them alone, as they serve as visual reminders of what I used to do versus what I am now doing.

However, if it is still a work in progress, sand away.
sethile

Post by sethile »

I like it best without the shoulders too.

It is fun, instructional, and encouraging for me to see the progression of skills in the pipes I've made. I aggree that once something is more or less finished it's nice to leave it and move on to make a better one with what I've learned.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Simple and sweet

Without the shoulders the stem looks way to big for the rest of the pipe.