Seahorse #2

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nick

Seahorse #2

Post by Nick »

Well I finally got back around to trying this shape again. Its still in progress, but here's a preview. I'd love to hear any comments or criticism you all can offer. Please feel free to be as critical as you like.

And here's my little fella checking the airflow through the pipe. "It's good dad," was his comment/

Again, please feel free to be critical.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Very interesting shape Nick. In my opinion, I would make this shape a bit more delicate. It has kind of a clunky feel to me. I would trim it up, put this pipe on a diet so to speak. I think that trimming it up would also require shortening the stem a bit. I do think the shape is interesting no doubt, I would just refine the lines a bit. If that makes sense.

Hope this helps.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

There, Bryan has hit the nail on the head. I looked at it and couldn't decide what it needed. But he's right. A sea horse delicate. I would attempt to add some delicacy to the design.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Whoa, hoss! That's a BIG fella, b'gosh. But in the second side view I can see the shape you're going for. At least, I hope so. And then in the vertical shot, if the nose of the horse is as I surmise toward the bit, you want to narrow the nose some to make the horse's head more obvious. But then, I could be absolutely wrong because I'm a representational type and abstract art is beyond my grasp. I can appreciate how much it must grind on you to remove anything more from such nice briar. Take it slow and easy, let it rest a while if you're not sure. Shorter stem I think is good. That's gonna be a knock-out piece when you're done!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Interesting. Thank you guys. Where would you all suggest I tighten it up? I think I'm too close to the subject. The pipe has come out almost exactly as i wanted it to. But that doesn't mean it can't be better? Perhaps in the "shoulders" where the shank narrows dramatically? The slight hump is supposed the invoke the belly of a seahorse, and i'm loathe to lose that.

John, you're right, the pipe is a larger size, which clearly impacts how delicate it feels. The bowl is only 3/4, but the overall head, with the nose and the fin, gives the pipe a big feel.

Thanks guys, your input has been great!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Nick,

My thought would be to just reduce the size overall, just slightly. Not alter the lines in anyway, just shrink the entire pipe slightly. That's what I was talking about.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Nick.. I dig the idea you're shooting for, and so far as I can tell, you're getting damn close. I agree with everyone about the delicacy of a seahorse, and that is something, IMHO, that will make or break this particular shape. I'm also wondering, what happens if you attempt to incorporate the whole seahorse shape rather than excluding the tail. Again, IMHO, that could really set what you're shooting for apart. Gr.. I wish I could easily sketch something out to give you an idea... but man, if you can pull this one off, it will be a beautiful, beautiful pipe.. BTW... I'm a huge fan of the seahorse. I would LOVE to set up a seahorse aquarium in my house!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Here's where I drew my inspiration from:

Kind of apropos today because it is a Bo Nordh shape. I had dreamed about showing it to him next year in Chicago, and (really dreaming now) him praising it as a wonderful pipe. Kinda makes me a bit sad.
Leus

Post by Leus »

Nick: Interesting shape. I think it could improve with sharper edges.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Nick.. I was just looking at this again and realized my remark about incorporating the tail into the briar was actually a bit off... since it looks like you're doing that with the stem. I just happened to look at it again, as a whole rather than as stummel/stem and it all kinda clicked in. Again, absolutely dig the idea. Can't wait to see how it progresses!!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks Leonardo. I thought about sharper edges too. Early on, I had planned to have sweeping arches on the underside and top with a panel kind of thing on the sides. But this made the pipe look really clunky. So I went more toward a smooth, fluid piece.

Hazmat, you're absolutly right about the tail and stem. I went with a half saddle because I felt it brought the aspects of a seahorse tail to mind the best. I'd even thought about giving it a reverse bend, but I don't think I'll do it.

I've got it all sanded, and now need to buff the pipe. I'm thinking about leaving it natural, because its a gorgeous piece of briar and I have no ideal how I'd buff out the area underneath the nose without overbuffing other areas. Any tips or tricks would be much appriciated. I've thought about using a pipe cleaner with buffing compound chucked into a drill. But I'm unsure of its effectiveness. Also, how would one press it against the wood?
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Nick.. for buffing in those small areas, could you not wrap some muslin(or other appropriate material) around a drill bit in several layers, and then chuck it up, load it and buff with it? Just a thought.. of course I'd try it on a scrap before you touch the "real thing" to it.
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

So why not a Dremel w/ felt wheel and/or cone for those hard-to-reach spots? Gentle and slow-speed should be OK, no?