My First Pipe is Done --Finally

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
custom300

My First Pipe is Done --Finally

Post by custom300 »

Well finally Pipe #1 is done. There are a couple of technical mistakes, and the stem doesn't fit as flush as I want against the shank. But, I decided to get this one done, take the lessons learned, and move on to the next one. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
Tano

Post by Tano »

Jamie, you said that there were a couple of technical mistakes. I'm curious to know what you would do different next time.
Tano
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Being an impatient sort of craftsman, I am of the opinion that without a lathe I couldn't manage a flush-fitting stem. But, as Tano suggests, I don't see anything at all wrong with the pipe other than that; a pretty, good-looking pipe, and for a first try, a WONDERFUL pipe, actually.
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Well, first thing the draught hole is about 1/16" off center, so I can't run a pipe cleaner through it. It draws okay though. The bit wandered a tad. secondly, the mortise didn't end up the way I wanted. It was a tad shallow and went in at the wrong angle. In order to compensate for the angle, I recut the shank and tried to redrill the mortise. That's what led to the difficulty in getting the stem to line up. All in all, it came out better than I thought it would. I was about to cash it all in last week, but my wife encouraged me to stay with it and finish it.

This was a nice Plateaux block, and I probably should have waited until I had a couple of cheaper blocks under my belt before cutting into this one. The stem is premade, but I put a delron tenon in it.

Thanks for your kind words.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie