Great Source for Buffalo Horn!

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
PapaDuke

Great Source for Buffalo Horn!

Post by PapaDuke »

After carving this pipe (which I wasn't too excited about how it turned out other then the antler)
I fell in love with the idea of adding horn or bone to some of my pipes. I've always loved the way it looks and feels.

So I spent a week looking for the best place to buy Buffalo Rolls from. I found one place but my skimpy $12.00 order all of a sudden ended up with a $30.00 shipping charge??

Then I found this place who bost "No Orders Too Small" and the prices are even better then the last guy.
Anyone looking for
Buffalo, Red, Honey or Black
Stag Horn
Mother of Pearl and
Ram Horn
White Bone
Then this is the place to go I believe!
http://www.uai.org

Although, I'm holding off on any Mother of Pearl cause it came to me that I can get MOP buttons at the fabric store that should be cheaper and just the right size for small bands on my shanks

I also found someone who will work with you on qty / price for moose, elk and deer anlers if anyone is interested.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Those will be great for rings but did you by chance find anything thick enough to be used as a shank extension?"
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

I sure did.
He's got Pen Blanks that measure 5-1/4 x 3/4 in the Black for $5.00 each or you can go with these..
1-1/2 x 1 Black $2
4-1/2 x 1-1/8 Black $7
4-1/2 x 1-1/8 Red $8

For the rings you can't beat 1 - 2 bucks a piece.
1-1/2 x 1/4 Black $1
1-1/2 x 1/4 Honey $2
1-1/2 x 1/4 Red $2

plue Horn Tapers if you want a larger flare at the stem end.
They go for..
5 x 7/8 Black $7
5 x 7/8 Red $8

I'm not really sure about this size. Hard to tell in the picture but it don't look like it's 7/8 but more like a flaired Roll? Anyone know about tapers?

The rest is pretty much knife scales but would still work for rings
Here's the Ram
3-1/2 x 1-1/4 x 3/16 $8
4-1/4 x 1-1/4 x 7/32 $10
5 x 1-1/2 x 1/4 $12
Last edited by PapaDuke on Fri May 19, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Oh yeah and I paid $2.88 for Mother of Pearl at Wal-Mart tonight.
It's about an 1/8 of an inch thick and the size of a silver dollar. Didn't find any in the button section but found it in crafts. They come in three different colors, mine was a grey/white that I got. Not the best size to work with but will make a couple nice rings along with some buffalo I think. I'm getting a pipe carved this weekend so it will be ready for my horn shipment.

Plus, the guy got my order out the next day so I thought that was pretty good!

If anyone does order from him, his website is acting up in that it doesn't send you an automatic invoice or even a reply. That's how I ended up calling the guy. But the site does get your order. It just doesn't let you know it got your order??
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

What are those pen blanks made from?
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

The Pen Blanks and the Rolls are made from Buffalo Horn.
And they look just like the rolls in the picture but smaller.

Now all I need to find out is how to bring it back to the luster you see in the picture after sizing them to fit?
any ideas?