No. 8 The Black Billiard with Maple

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PapaDuke

No. 8 The Black Billiard with Maple

Post by PapaDuke »

Early on I could tell there was no saving this grain so that cut tons of hours off making this one. I had the whole thing done (Minus the inlay which I did then next day) in less than 3 hours.

So here's my Big Black Rusticated Billiard with Maple Inlay..
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

This is definitely my favorite of the pipes you have done so far, Papa Duke. I really like this one. I've used maple before too but yours looks much better with that black stain, I need to pick up some black stain one of these days.

It looks like, in the picture, however that the maple is not perpendicular to the shank, at least on my monitor. It seems to be closer to the bowl at the bottom than the top, if that makes sense. I've done the same thing on both my attempts at inlays so your making me feel better about it. One other comment, and you can through it out, I'm really tired and so I'm a little chatty this morning, the bottom of the bit doesn't seem to want to flow with the rest of the pipe as well. I've made less pipes than you have and mine still have tons of flaws in them so take this "advice" with a grain of salt.

Great work, though,
Josh
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks Josh,
While it's not quite my favorit pipe, I would smoke this one!!! Then again I don't think I've really carved that one yet?

And Yes your observations are correct. Seems that no matter what I do I end up with an angle to my Inlays? I blame the lack of proper equipment on that. Are you saying though that the "Stem" doesn't want to flow? If you are then you're right. I may mold the top to look like the bottom and that could help?

The stain is from Primo and only mixed one ounce to the packet. Works great and man is it BLACK.

And I forgot to mention, That's WAX on the pipe and not another finish. I have no idea why but this one waxed better then any other rusticated pipe I've waxed? No gray spots, I didn't have to dig into the groves with the applicator?? It just went on clean as can be.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

As far as the pictures tell, I like it too.
I don't give much for those carved rustications, but that's just my taste.
Forgive me some more phtoshopping on your pipes. File it under that "positive critique" we discussed under that grading topic, please.
I agree with Josh about the bottom lines. They don't make sense to my eye.
The missing saddle on the bottom side makes the illusion of the inlay being somewhat out of angle. If it had a straight taper – even starting from something before the saddle, it might look like uhm, this:

Better? On the way…

To my eyes, something I see again and again (on my very first thing and on many other beginner pipes) ist that bowl hanging beyond the natural bottom line of a straight pipe. For me this is a no-go. I think we all fear to leave too little wood down there, but as I said before: 20 million billiards can't go wrong. They don't have any other chance to get a flush lower line but to leave no more wood there than half of the shank diameter minus the draft hole!

Note that I faked a "normal" saddle to the stem. It looks more everyday billiard now, but for me it looks right now…
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

yep that's what it looked like with the normal saddle. But there was a problem with the shank that made me go that direction.

Do me a favor!
Cut and paste the bottom of the stem to the top so I can see what it would look like if they matched? No Saddle both being the rounded curve down to the main part of the stem? Do you see what I'm asking? This may be what I do with this pipe.

I'm not sure I can pull off the straight line on the bottom with the way it's shaped.

And trust me I had to leave that bottom on the bowl. This was a kit and when they drilled the hole for the bowl then cut the block it left me nothing to work with! It's close to too thin on the bottom as it is. I barely rounded the sides and by the grace of god didn't have to take any off the bottom or this pipe would have been a NAPKIN RING!! haha...

That's what you get when you get kits!

Thanks for the photoshop
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Hmmm…

From the photo, I would guess the airway runs something like this:

If so, the thickness of the bottom would be OK for me. At least if those kit makers were not completely stoned at work… But sometimes perspective can be tricky to judge this. I rather tend to trust you, since I have been sanding bowls too thin that I had in my own hands… :roll:

Mirroring the saddle is a bit tricky, since all the lighting contours would have to be optimized, and there are hardly enough pixels for that in a small JPG…

Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Trust me they where STONED.
I think they were smoking too much Briar Dust

There's nothing left on the bottom to work with. If I cut straight across like in the photo then the thickness of the bottom of the bowl would be about as think as a. . . Well something German that wasn't thick?? :D

How would it look if the top of the stem was curved like the bottom?
If you don't mind photoshopping that for me.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Something particular German that wasn't thick? Gimme a hint! 8)

Giving the top of the shank a line matching the bottom will give it a symmetry that will probably let the inlay look vertical again. But I am not so happy with the outbound curves in those areas allthough there is not much else left to try. Those outbound curves remind me a bit of elderly ladies’ upper arms when they wear short sleeved clothes in summer. Get me?

I tried your last idea in PS, but believe me, either it does look wrong because you can't turn every thing into something else in Photoshop, or it won't work at all in real, sorry
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

PapaDuke wrote:Trust me they where STONED.
I think they were smoking too much Briar Dust

There's nothing left on the bottom to work with. If I cut straight across like in the photo then the thickness of the bottom of the bowl would be about as think as a. . . Well something German that wasn't thick?? :D

How would it look if the top of the stem was curved like the bottom?
If you don't mind photoshopping that for me.
What I'd suggest is this: If your going to do something with a pipe line or shape, be intentional. Don't be wishy washy (not saying you are). If the bottom of the bowl had to be out of line with the shank then emphasize the bottom of the bowl being out of line with the shank. Make it look intentional, not like a work around. I think your color combinations on this pipe are great. The lines of the profile of it are a different story. If you had accentuated the bowl not being on the same angle as the shank I'd say it would have looked pretty different. Good looking pipe tho, especialy for #8.

Here's a reference to making the bottom of the bowl purposefuly different from the line of the shank.

So I think the trick is to be intentional, but NOT to over-do it. When I try something like this my tendancy is to over-do it. My suggestion, and my advice to myself, be intentional without going over board.

FWIW, YMMV.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Ben, that's a good point!

I tend to say "if you can't hide it, emphasize it" (at least in German) in those "have to find a workaround" situations. Being at the toilet almost at the right time still leaves you with wet pants…
Sure there is a risk to "overdo" it, which makes it look odd the other way. But to get on that line, you have to meander between those margins to experience both of them.

1 is to be expected and – it works for the eye…

2 looks like "couldn't do it no better"

3 comes to the point of developping a style of it's own, but I personally don't believe in that sort of intersections of a circular and a straight element.

4 (better in your pics) combines two harmonic, swinging lines, which makes it an outstanding formal design beyond being an excuse for anything
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Excellent advice Ben.
And very good illustrations from you Alex. Message Loud and clear! Now what do I do about fixing this little quagmire??

Not to get me wrong with any of the defending I've done for this pipe today. I've looked at it a thousand ways to sunday and KNOW that it's just not good enough. I feel it's close but sadly the "Hand Carved Rustic Look" only works on them Black Bear Statues they make with the Chain Saw! I know I need to make it look Machine Carved in order for it to be a Good Hand Crafted Item?

I see that the Inlay needs some more attention too.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Papa.. besides the main items talked about so far, what else are you looking at that has you referring to this pipe as a "quagmire"?
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Being at the toilet almost at the right time still leaves you with wet pants…
Hey! Who told you about that! :oops:

Anyway, I really like what's been said. I didn't see the little bowl bulge at the bottom, but know I don't know how I missed it! I really like the 2 swooping lines on the one pipe Ben.

Great advice for us newbies

Josh
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

PapaDuke,

That pipe has tons of potential. I think I can solve your bowl thickness issue for your next pipe by telling you what I think happened on this one. Call me if you would like to as I would love to chat about it (but don't want to type for the next 30 minutes.)

432-978-9897

Tyler
bugsy

nice pipe

Post by bugsy »

i hope other makers post there thought like this ...because this newbies learning alot :thumb: :thumb:
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thank you Taylor
I'll sure do that. What is a good time to talk?
Most likely my best time is during the day.
Tano

Post by Tano »

Ben,
I keep admiring the small ring inlay. Lately I have been experimenting with inlays, but I would sure like to try one like yours. Are they difficult to do and does one need special tools?
I hope you don't mind sharing this info... Thanks

Tano.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

whoops... I meant to post this earlier. That pipe that I posted a picture of is not mine :)

I knew I had seen one from NvilleDave (David Brooks, www.davidbrookshandmade.com) so I went hunting for it. I've never actually made one, to date, that had a non-standard flowing line from bowl to shank. Perhaps Dave will come on here and answer the question about those inlays as he's been doing lots of them lately.

Generaly if I were to show an example of how to do something "the right way" I don't post pictures of my pipes :?

Dave?
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Ben, I think the end parenthesis is screwing up the link.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

oh... hmm... I didn't even tell it to make it a link.

Here is tho:

http://www.davidbrookshandmade.com