Drilling question

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
hazmat

Drilling question

Post by hazmat »

How would you go about drilling the draft hole for a shape along these lines?

Nick

Post by Nick »

Just like you would for any other pipe. Gimme a minute and I'll post a pic.

Try this on for size:

hazmat

Post by hazmat »

gotcha.. thanks..
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

It's also possible that it has a drifted shank. In this case, it will be drilled with a burr on a flexible shaft that fits inside a plastic sleeve. The sleeve is bent to the curve desired and then the burr ends up boring a hole with that curve.

I don't have the tooling for this yet, though it's a very intriguiging (I never spell that right) concept.

Joel
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Joel,

I have heard of this also, but never seen much information on it. If you have any or come across any, would you send it to me.

Thanks,
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

I think many of us would like to know more about that drifting drill. Maybe lack of understanding the terms, but I can't even imagine it. Still seems like a "circle with corners", as we say in GER.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I knew I recalled a post about this in the past:
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/modules. ... torder=asc

Complete with a Todd Johnson vs Random flame war (ahhh, the old days) as well as a discussion on time economy and grading (which have both come up recently). Enjoy!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Bryan, that's about all the information that I have! I've never investigated it and haven't looked into getting the needed tooling. So right now, that's all I got.

Joel
marks

Post by marks »

As Kurt pointed out, the curved airway gets batted around here once in a while. My only reservation with a curved airway is that occasionally, the draft hole needs to be reamed out, as cake will build in the airway and constrict the airflow. This is more prevelant at the end of the airway near the bowl.

I actually reamed the airways in my pipes out a few years ago, and some of the pipes were 15+ years old. I got a reasonable amount of cake out of those. (This discussion reminds me that it is about time to do this again).

I don't mean to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, but I was just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to ream those curved airways yet, of if that is even a concern of anyone else?
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Don't worry that you've thrown in a monkey wrench.... I think this is more of a theoretical conversation than an operational conversation... therefore all thoughts are 100% applicable.. not to mention you provided me with a treasure-trove of acrylic information!!!

I honestly don't have any motiviation to drill a block in this style at this point.. I was just tooling through some pipe pics and got curious. Theorize on!!!
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Don't worry that you've thrown in a monkey wrench.... I think this is more of a theoretical conversation than an operational conversation... therefore all thoughts are 100% applicable.. not to mention you provided me with a treasure-trove of acrylic information!!!

I honestly don't have any motiviation to drill a block in this style at this point.. I was just tooling through some pipe pics and got curious. Theorize on!!!
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

marks wrote:As Kurt pointed out, the curved airway gets batted around here once in a while. My only reservation with a curved airway is that occasionally, the draft hole needs to be reamed out, as cake will build in the airway and constrict the airflow. This is more prevelant at the end of the airway near the bowl.

I actually reamed the airways in my pipes out a few years ago, and some of the pipes were 15+ years old. I got a reasonable amount of cake out of those. (This discussion reminds me that it is about time to do this again).

I don't mean to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, but I was just wondering if anyone has figured out a way to ream those curved airways yet, of if that is even a concern of anyone else?
This is THE reason why I have not pursued the idea further over the years. These days, I avoid making any pipe that cannot be reamed out via a straight drill, as I've done so often with my own collection. Curved passages are neat and certainly allow a lot of wilder shapes (like many other drilling tricks such as end caps, concealed radical angles, etc), but to me the loss of long-term practicality is too much.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Not to class myself with the masters, but since Trever's only an apprentice I guess I can butt in: the first time you see one of those impossible bends you think "Wow! Is that neat or what?" And then you have to conclude, as you all have, it ain't worth thinking about because something like that couldn't be reamed. Lord, a curved stem sometimes takes extra care just getting a pipe cleaner down it; what pipe smoker other than a tyro would want to buy the grief?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

KurtHuhn wrote:I knew I recalled a post about this in the past:
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/modules. ... torder=asc

Complete with a Todd Johnson vs Random flame war (ahhh, the old days) as well as a discussion on time economy and grading (which have both come up recently). Enjoy!
Those were good times...
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

ehm, not that I didn't find it in the dictionaries, but would someone please be so kind to post a link to a pic of a monkey wrench? Just to make sure I have the right idea and get a feeling for that saying?

Always keen on learning something new :thumb:
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

as requested..

alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Thank, You, Sir!

That was roughly what was in front of my inner eyes. I was too dumb to have a look on wikipedia, though.

And guess what: We German call most of these and their modern descendants "Engländer", which is nothing but "Englishman", due to the fact, that some english man has invented the modern version of these. Though the actual form of the adjustable spanners base on a swedish invention.
Also rather strange. I remember being pretty puzzled the first time I hear my father use that term…
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de