Ugliest Pipe I've Made!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PapaDuke

Ugliest Pipe I've Made!

Post by PapaDuke »

Well guys don't ask how I got to this but yes I did.
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I'm only hoping that someone is just blind enough to buy it on eBay!
haha..

Yes David that's your Zebrawood!
You'll see on the other pipe with Bocote that I just haven't found the "Flow" with using the wood just yet?

Anyways,
Here it is..

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Well, it's not bad by no means. The lines don't flow, a couple of corners there. I would make the change of direction a little smoother in the shank, extension, and stem. Overall I really like the pipe, I would just like it that much better if the lines flowed a little easier. But it sounds like this pipe has a story, maybe that would explain the lines.

Aside from the flow of the shank/stem, I really lilke the staining, the natural bottom and the rusticated top. The chamber looks nice and clean and your drilling appears to be dead on. Nice work.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I wouldn't be so hard on this one, Papa Duke. I see that the stem/extension looks like it almost has a kink in it but I really like the rest of the pipe. The rough on top and bottom with a smooth middle seems like you carved it straight out of a root or something. I think that if the few sharp angles were smoothed out it would be a beautiful pipe, IMHO.

Josh
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks guys,
Those are the same areas that I don't like about the pipe.

If you look at it just right you can tell that I angled the inlay all wrong and that's where it all went wrong! I'm still learning on adding inlay.

Not much stem now to work with but I should still try something shouldn't I?

Sort of wussed out and made the rest appear to have "Angle"
The up side is you can run a pipe cleaner though this pipe. Only you have to remove the stem to do so?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

If you are not paying attention it is easy to shape the lines of the shank cattywumpus to the mortise and then you get a jarring angle at that point. But it does not seem like you are beating yourself up about it. Keep working and congratulations on a new milestone :wink: (in refernce to the thread title)
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

ArtGuy wrote:…snip cattywumpus snip…
Woaah, you never stop to learn some phrases. My online dictionaries didn't even list it. But nothing google would not deliver some linguists professional explanation for…
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Oh yeah I knew what cattywumpus was.
Must be an american thing? :D
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Sure, but I had to read here, here and here. As far as they don't even really get behind that "wumpus", i don't worry too much about not knowing that phrase at all.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You think that's bad? How about 'whopperjawed'? Then there's the Rhode Island favorite that sounds like "shuquad", but I can't seem to find a proper spelling for.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Well there is beauty in the eyes of the beholder I guess.

The ugliest pipe I've ever made is up to $49.99 (the min. bid) on eBay with four more days to go? Maybe it's the angles or something but the bidder is not afraid to pay good money for a pipe from looking at his feedback. Now if someone else likes it and gets some freindly bidding wars going between them then life will be good!

What really suprises me is that pipe will take a cleaner from stem to bowl better then most pipes I've purchase.

Sorry about the pictures. I'll try to post them on my website tonight so that they don't show up as little red x's here?
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Bah! C'mon now, I can make something uglier than that! You have to apply yourself! LOL.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

haha...
Should we have an "Ugliest Pipe" contest?
You know this pipe just might be my best seller when it's all said and done.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Sometimes the ones we think are the ugliest, collectors will find them unique and unusual. Besides its really not that bad of a pipe. The abrupt bend in the stem kind of mirrors the one in the shank and extension. So in an unusual way the pipe has "flow" and balance.
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks David,
and that's exactly why I put that bend in the stem to someone finish the line? If you call that a line??

You're right, this may just be the most unique thing this guys ever saw? Who knows. Anyway, the more I live with it the more this pipe grows on me. What suprises me is how easy the pipe cleaners go through this pipe. I wouldn't expect that.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

FWIW, a "kink" in the stem/shank junction like that usually comes from shaping the stummel without the stem in place. You can lose track of the actual angle of the mortise, shape to the angle you imagine the mortise to be, and you find were off when you put the stem back in. The remedy? Shape with the stem in place, or stick a piece of delrin or something that fits into the mortise and sticks out enough to provide a reference while you shape.

Tyler