#14 Tomahawk

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bvartist

#14 Tomahawk

Post by bvartist »

Almost finished with my latest one. This is number 14 and I've started calling it the "Tomahawk". The profile shape reminds me of that. Still got a little work to do on it. Found a scratch on the stem when I took the pics, still don't like the dark stain line around the top edge of the bowl, sanded on it for hours but it still won't go away, might have to get drastic. Going to try my hand at precarbing the bowl as well. My first using Algerian briar. This block had a lot of pits in the bottom, some that I couldn't sand out without totally reshaping(which I've already done twice) Pipe is just over 6 inches long, 2.25 inches tall, bowl depth is 1.5 inches and .75 diameter. Tobacco chamber is 3 degrees forward canted. Stem is ebonite. I stained the stummel with dark brown and then sanded to remove most of the stain. Left the top of the plateaux dark though.

Feel free to post any suggestions, comments, gripes or complaints. :?

David

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey David,

Very good looking pipe. I like the stain, the shape and the forward cant of the chamber. Looking back at it a second time, I really really like the staining, the color turned out great.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
marks

Post by marks »

I see what you are talking about regarding the stain being darker in spots. Don't know what to tell you except sand some more or darken the rest of the pipe to match.

Very nice pipe. The lines look crisp, the symmetry looks good, etc. Nice shape, too.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

achduliebe wrote:Hey David,

Very good looking pipe. I like the stain, the shape and the forward cant of the chamber. Looking back at it a second time, I really really like the staining, the color turned out great.
Thanks Bryan, the stain was one of those happy accidents that turned out really good. I had planned to re-stain with a light color after sanding off the dark brown. As I was sanding, I really liked the color that was developing so decided to buff it and see what came out. And I like the result.

Marks, the darker stain lines look a little worse in the photo than they do to me on the pipe, but they still bother me a little. I'll sand some more, and if that doesn't work I may have to re-stain and try to even out the color. The shape turned out good even if it wasn't what I had in mind to start. But it flows pretty well, and works ok with the grain, so I'm pleased with the way it turned out!

David
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Hey David,

I really like the coloring that came out. I was thinking of something similar on the pipe I was going to work on. Glad to see it looks nice.

Josh
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

josh_ford wrote:Hey David,

I really like the coloring that came out. I was thinking of something similar on the pipe I was going to work on. Glad to see it looks nice.

Josh
Josh, stain came out very well. Its a little more work, and basically I had to sand the pipe twice or more. But I was impressed with the results.