New Chuck Jaws and Lathe!

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
JSPipes

New Chuck Jaws and Lathe!

Post by JSPipes »

Well, this seems to be the right spot to post this. Kurt, if not, please move it!

Today I picked up some new chuck jaws for my OneWay chuck. These are CNC machined from 6061 aluminum. The bolts sticking out the sides are turned at the inside end to act as pins to mark the point at which the 2 holes will meet inside the block. So, I can loosen the chuck a touch, rotate it around the pins to the new angle, and tighten it back down. It'll be lined up and ready for the chamber drill. Yes, the idea came from Ken Lamb.

I still have to pull the block and reset it for the mortise drill. There's no good way to mark that one the same way.

Here's a link to some pictures: http://www.jspipes.com/chucklathe/

I got some prices from the shop to get more of these made up. They "took a bath on it" (their words, not mine). In other words, they quoted me a price that was too little for the time that it took them to make it, based on their shop charge. The most cost effective way to get more is in a batch of 4 sets. So if enough of you are interested, I'll get some more made up. The shop charge for 4 is $335 each (shipped priority mail back to you). That's the actual cost and not marked up. The jaws did not come with pins. I can make those if you need, or anyone with a metal lathe can knock 'em out in a few minutes. So if a group of 4 of you are interested, let me know and I'll get 'em made up. I'm not looking to make any money on it, just would like to help out.

Joel
Leus

Post by Leus »

It asks for some password...
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I contacted my ISP and hope that it will be resolved shortly. Thanks for letting me know!

UPDATE: It's fixed now.
Gary_Gill

Post by Gary_Gill »

Looks good. The irregular surface looks like it might kick the block off center. Did the block stay in position when you drilled?
Gary
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

The block stayed perfect. The irregular surface are actually serrations that bite into the wood to help hold it secure.

Joel
Gary_Gill

Post by Gary_Gill »

I was looking at the shape of the briar. Did you begin with a center drill before opening up the hole?
Gary
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Yup, I sure do.

Joel
JBW

Post by JBW »

Joel,
Those jaws look good, I'll have to build a pair when I get a 2 or 4 jaw scroll chuck. Is it difficult to hit your mark with the pins, or do you just get it close and adjust from there?
Thanks,
Joel
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

What I'm doing is using the tip of a brad point drill bit to make an indentation for the first pin. Then put the squared block in the chuck, lining up that pin, but only letting it just quide the block into place. Once it's in the chuck, then I tighten up both pins and loosen the chuck a hair to rotate the block into position for the first hole. Tighten down and go.

I've got a block on the lathe right now, just finished the mortise drill. It couldn't have come out any better!
sethile

Post by sethile »

Congrats on the new Lathe Joel! Those jaws look fantastic. Looks like I may have a new lathe coming too... If so, I may try something similar through a machinist frind of mine, or may try to get in on the next batch of these.

I think the origianl idea for these haws is from J.T. Cook. Ken Lamb mentions as much on his site, and I've seen it used in J.T. Cook's wonderful pipe making video: http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/educatio ... _broad.php

Do the jaws screw to the origianal lathe jaws or replace them? Also, what do you need in terms of a backing plate for the oneway chuck to get it to work with the 9x20 lathe?
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Nice one Joel! I was just thinking the other day that I need a larger lathe for precision shank work. Looks like your all set up.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

These are replacement jaws for a OneWay Stronghold chuck. I'm pretty sure that they'll fit on the Talon as well. They do NOT come with the 2 marking pins. But they are a very common thread pitch and easy to make. 1/4 x 20tpi I think. I'll have to double check, but that sounds right. To make them, get a pair of allen keyed bolts in an appropriate size and turn down points on your lathe. It was a pretty easy procedure. I did it on my little Taig.

In order to get the OneWay chuck onto this lathe, I needed a different black plate. OneWay sells them in several different sizes for different sized spindles. They run about $25 or $28. You remove the one that's on the chuck now and press in the new one and then screw it down. It's an easy operation. This Jet lathe has a 1 1/2 x 8tpi spindle. So that was the size back plate I ordered. I got it from my local Woodcraft store and Woodcraft also sells them through their web site.

At the moment there is one other pipe maker interested in a set. If 3 more are and all are willing to commit (as in send me the money up front), I'll be more than happy to put in an order for 4 more and ship them out. However, you'll need to make the pins.

I think that answered all the questions that have come up. If you'd like a set of these, shoot me an e-mail and I'll add you to the list. When I have 4 names I'll let you know. At that point, I'll need to you send me a check for the cost and I'll put the order in. They take 3 to 6 weeks (depending on the schedule at the fabrication shop) and then I'll send them back to you Priority Mail. I am NOT making any money on this, so it is not a commercial enterprise. Just helping out.

Joel