Metal Lathes, yet again!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
JSPipes

Metal Lathes, yet again!

Post by JSPipes »

I've been wrestling with some precision and alignment issues. I've come to the conclusion (after discussing the issues with several knowledgable people) that a metal lathe will go a long way toward solving the problems and greatly reduce the time spent. I'm going to have to put off buying a sandblasting setup for a while in order to solve these other problems and come up with a more efficient solution.

I'm looking at a Jet 9x20. I have a little Taig I use for stem work.

Does anyone have experience with one of these for stummel work? What are you using for a metal lathe for stummels? And are you thrilled with it or just satisfied?

Thanks!
Joel
flix

Post by flix »

Joel,

Why are you getting the 9X20? It seems too big to me. I was looking into the 7X14 instead.

--Mike
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

flix wrote:Joel,

Why are you getting the 9X20? It seems too big to me. I was looking into the 7X14 instead.

--Mike
Hi Mike,

It's all about bed clearance. On a 9 x 20 you have 4 1/2 inches of clearance between the center of the chuck and the lathe bed. If the stummel is any longer than 4 1/2 inches, you can't turn or drill the bowl on a 9 x 20, because the shank will hit the bed.

On a 7 x 20, you lose an inch and the clearance is only 3 1/2 inches. That makes for a pretty short stummel, so you are limited to pretty small pipes.

Joel,

I have the 9 x 20, but haven't turned or drilled any stummels on it. It is far superior to the piece of crap Enco that I used to have. I know that Todd Johnson and, I think, Jeff Gracik use it for turning?/drilling stummels, and have given good recommendations for it.

Hope this helps,

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Rad hit the nail on the head. It's all about swing over the bed. The more swing, the longer the shank on your pipe can be. You also want to have the length. The Jet Midi that I have only has 14" between centers, and it's only just big enough for some drilling that I do. When I drill longer stems, it's *not* enough, and I end up performing some rather interesting gyrations to get the thing drilled.

Then there's the quality. I've heard Rad's tales of his Enco. Save yourself some aggravation and money and buy a decent lathe.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Thanks Rad, that was a great help! I've called around to all of the local shops that carry used tools, been monitoring Craigslist for a month and no luck finding an old Southbend or Atlas.

I'll go get the Jet tomorrow. There's a local shop that carries it and has a very competitive price. With tax it'll still be cheaper than the one on Amazon with free shipping!

I've also ordered new back plates to switch my chucks over to the 1 1/2 x 8tpi threads. So I ought to be able to use it to make a pipe next Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to perfect alignment of the tailstock to the headstock! My wood lathe is very far off.

Joel
flix

Post by flix »

Ok!
It looks like I'm getting the 9X20 then, gee I hope it isn't *too* heavy...
Thanks, also, vets!
--Mike
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

FWIW, I use a Jet Midi Lathe for stummels. It's a great work horse. I believe Kurt uses one too.

I use a Mico_Mark 7x14 for stem work. So far so good. Just bought a milling attachment. Ronnie B of Night Owl Pipe Works showed me how to cut tapered stems using a milling machine, and it's pretty amazing. Keeps symmetry much easier than the old eye ball method.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I have been using that same Jet mini wood lathe. The problem with mine is that the tailstock isn't square to the headstock. All the holes I drill end up tapered and it's a pain in the neck to fix them or get the perfect tenon. In addition, the face of the shank ends up out of square too. I got an estimate for repair and it was half the cost of another lathe.

So I opted for the metal lathe route. I'll use the little wood lathe for sanding and buffing.

I also have a Taig that I use for stems.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I don't know of any adjustments to the head or tail stock on the wood lathes. On the metal lathes there are adjustments but you have to be a good machinist with the right tools to make the adjustments.

The 9x20 is a great lathe, but it takes some machinist understanding to fly it.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yes, the Jet Midi is a marvelous lathe for turning stummels. It's exactly the right size for about 99.5% of the pipes you'll want to make. And I hear that it's quite stable when bolted to a good, heavy workbench. Mine sits free, and I just lean on it if it starts to vibrate at all. :D

I am considering a metal lathe for stem work. But I've been considering that for nearly a year and never decded I needed one. Maybe one day I'll decie I can't do without.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Man oh man oh man! This is one heck of a lathe! Got it most of the way set up and should be able to make a few test drills in stock tomorrow. I'm expecting that a 3/8 inch brad point will make the perfect hole for 3/8 inch delrin stock! If not, it won't be off by much.

The headstock and tailstock line up absolutely perfectly. The tailstock has no play. The screw/clamping system to move the tailstock could be better though. But it's useable.

Now, if I can only figure out how to work all these gears and the belt to get the speeds where I want them, I'll be in good shape. The documentation that comes with it seems to assume that you know how to do it already.

Joel
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

don t know if this will help anyone but it sure is going to help me.

kurt has listed www.woodtunerscatalog.com as a source for alot of woodturning supplies. the major item i have found is spindle adaptors.

spindle adaptors will convert say your talon/oneway chuck to fit your taig or a jet 9x20. or a taig chuck to fit your jet/delta woodworking lathe. without having a dozen chucks around. the reason i mention it here is because joel purchased a 9x20 jet lathe(congs joel-love it when someone gets a new toy/tooll). if he really likes his oneway chuck to hold the stummel with- he can get a spindle adaptor for his oneway chuck to fit both his jet 9x20 and his jet midi lathe or if need be his taig chucks to fit his jet midi.

anyway hope this helps someone
jim
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Thanks for the tip Jim. I've already got the spindle adaptor for the OneWay chuck and have ordered another for a different one.

Joel
jbacon

Post by jbacon »

you are very welcomed joel

i just learned of this last night and got very excited by the endless ways to help make life easier. i had always thought of a way to put my talon chuck on different lathes.

can i ask what source you used for your spindle adapters and do you like them. what is your other adaptor going to be used for.
i have not ordered any yet- i think i need about 4 different ones

jim
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Well, the OneWay adaptor came from Woodcraft. Something like $25 + shipping. Pretty cheap.

The other was much more expensive. I expect it was more work to make. It's going on a modified 2 jaw custom unless I can get a new back plate for it.

This Jet lathe is something else. Seems a bit overkill for stems only. Rad, when are you going to do a stummel on yours?

I'm still waiting for a few items to get here. Cutting tools and the new jaws for my OneWay chuck, as well as the arbor for the other. I am looking forward to everything getting here and trying it all out on the next pipe. I expect much better fit right off the lathe and less time spent on that.

Joel
Leus

Post by Leus »

Hey, just to gloat a little... yesterday I bought a used lathe. It is a big one, from the sixties.

Now I need to buy what looks like a gazillion tools and gizmos. But, hey, everybody positively, absolutely needs a lathe, right? 8)
CTMachinist

Post by CTMachinist »

What brand? Belt or gearhead?