Glue?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
PapaDuke

Glue?

Post by PapaDuke »

For inlay work and things such as adding bamboo
what glue do you suggest using?

And can you use these glues on the actual bowl if you wanted to layer it with different briars building it up taller? Or would the heat mess up the seal of the glue?

Thank you guys,
Any help would be great!
Papa Duke Adams
Handcrafted Tampers

http://www.PapaDuke.net
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I use 2 part epoxy stem inlays and shank caps, but heat will cause that to loosen if used on a bowl, I would think.

Rad
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Thanks Rad,
I thought maybe so since I've never seen it done before there must be a good reason.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

For stem rings, shank endcaps, bamboo, and all sorts of stem work, 2-part 5-minute epoxy is just about perfect. But, get it hot, and it will melt. Burn it, and it will create noxious fumes. That's why it's not used in or on tobacco chambers.

I'm not aware of any method for joining two pieces of briar for making a bowl taller. Seems to me that it would create a very strong possibility of burn-through.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

It does doesn't it?

How about fixing Inlay into the top of the bowl? Maybe on the sides or even attaching something like a ring of something on the very top?

Anyone see that done or we still talking about fumes and breakdown on the glue?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I'm not sure. I have recently seen an Eltang calabash like that. The bowl insert was briar, while the wide portion of the cap was osage orange (I think). But, there was a tenon of briar that the other wood fit over, so no epoxy would have been in contact with burning tobacco.

If I was going to go this route, I'd use a structured epoxy, since they're stronger and more resistant to heat.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
PapaDuke

Post by PapaDuke »

Yes, that would be the way to do it. Where the fire doesn't touch the glue or the break?

I guess the bottom line is if it hasn't been done by now there may be a good reason for it?