Layout/Alignment problems

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Matt,

The nuts are called rod coupling nuts. They are used to couple threaded rods together. The bolts are just long eye bolts that have been ground down on the ends to a point. I only used the eye bolts because it makes it easier to tighten and loosen.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Thanks, Bryan.. I'm able to find the threaded rods with the eyelets, just wasn't sure what the nuts were called. Trying to go through a Lowe's or Home Depot without having a good name for something is an effort in insanity... hopefully I'll be able to get the bolts early tomorrow morning.. and then.. the part I love most.. I GET TO PLAY WITH THE WELDER!!!!! for some reason, the owner of said welder gets a little bit concerned when he sees me show up at his shop with a lil gleam in my eye... :think: ... don't know why, though.. :dunno:
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Yeah, I know what you mean about Lowe's and Home Depot...I hear all of these commercials about how they hire industry people to man their departments. I have not been impressed. I got about $300 in gift cards from Home Depot and decided to use them to get a lathe. Well, I had to special order it because they don't carry them in the store. But the guy working in power tools asked me what I was wanting to order and I said a JET lathe. He says, 'what does that mean?'. Then he says 'what is JET?'. I should have just left right there. Anyways, about two hours later I was able to get the Delta Midi lathe ordered.

Unfortunately my brother welded my vise up for me. He did not trust me using his welder. Probably a good thing, he has much more experience. If I had done it, I probably would still be having alignment problems.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

That seems to be most everyone's experience in these places... they're definitly NOT "industry professionals", unless there's a niche industry somewhere for those who stare blankly in the face of needed technical assistance....

however, I got about the same response when I went to Woodcraft last weekend.. upon mentioning I was looking for a certain item to make pipes, the glazed over look appeared on their face... eh.. what can ya do???
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

hazmat wrote:they're definitly NOT "industry professionals", unless there's a niche industry somewhere for those who stare blankly in the face of needed technical assistance....
Actually they are "industry professionals". The industry? Modern day Customer Service! :roll: (or lack thereof) Try asking a question of one of the ones in the blue vests(major retail chain) with "How May I Help You?" written on the back. Truth in advertising would be "Go Away and Don't Bother ME!"
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Yeah, I hate even mentioning that I make pipes anymore. People just look at you and say 'Pipes??'. For some, in my experience, just mentioning it instantly brings on the 'deer in headlights' look.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Totally! Its like they're thinking, "Pipes? Like copper pipes?" Come on guys, its not that unusual.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I said I made pipes in the Woodcraft store near me.. and I got a funny look.. surprise surprise. I'm sure they thought I was making "wacky tabaccy" pipes...
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick wrote:Totally! Its like they're thinking, "Pipes? Like copper pipes?" Come on guys, its not that unusual.
Only in Ohio would they think copper pipes :) ... you got get out of the Bible belt and mention it...

Then it's more like, "Oh pipes... alright!" *wink* *wink* *nod* *nod*

"No, seriously. Tobacco pipes."

"Sure..."

*Ben punches person making stupid joke for the 102nd time...*

*Ben stops day dreaming takes his tool and leaves*
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

I'm in the same boat with Ben.

How many times the guys here at work have made some reference to the crack pipes that I make. Or wanting to know if I make cool bongs too.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Only in Ohio would they think copper pipes Smile ... you got get out of the Bible belt and mention it...
LOL! Yea, I suppose thats totally true. Only in Ohio.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

achduliebe wrote:I'm in the same boat with Ben.

How many times the guys here at work have made some reference to the crack pipes that I make. Or wanting to know if I make cool bongs too.
This happens to me alot when people first find out.

Person: So.. what's your hobby?

Haz: Welp, see.. I collect, smoke and make pipes... er.. tobacco pipes.

Person: Uh huh... :roll: ... "tobacco" pipes...

Haz: No.. really. Tobacco pipes. :D

Person: Mmmm hmm.. :naughty: I bet...
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

You know I have this little story...

A few years ago I was vacationing down at Garden City, SC on the coast with my family, as we do every year. Well my brother was looking for a particular souvenir to take back to a work colleague. This search landed us on the main strip "The Grand Strand" at Myrtle Beach in the middle of the afternoon. We did some beach shop store hopping there on the main strip. Well, way back in the back of one of these stores was like a seperate room. Inside this room was a display case and some shelves filled with these different colored bongs. They had bongs of every size and color you could imagine. I could not beleive it and right there on the front of the display case was a sign that said "For Tobacco Use ONLY". Needless to say my brother and I laughed for quite a while over that one.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

hehe.. thing is, they HAVE to post that sign or they can't sell them. All head shops are that way. Here in PA, if you're specifically looking to purchase a bong and go into a store and ask for it AS a bong, they'll toss ya out. You have to ask for a "water pipe".. it all comes down to semantics.

er.. a friend of mine explained this to me.. :D