New Pics

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BDP

New Pics

Post by BDP »

Hey Guys,

I decided to create a gallery here for my pipes, rather than post the pics in letters, so I have my latest bulldog on display in the gallery section named PohlmannPipes (down near the bottom). Take a look, if you are inclined.

Man, I see alot of new people on here, and some spectacular work from some that have been here awhile. What a resource this place is! :thumb:

Kurt, thanks for the help with the gallery name. Shoot me a PM and tell me where I was going wrong :dunno: .

Hey, it's snowing outside! This is only the second time this year. AAhhhh,
a cup of coffee, a bowl of Full Virginia Flake, and out to the shop!!

Talk Soon,
Brad
Last edited by BDP on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Brad...all I can say is 'AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH....I am stuck here in cubicleville for a couple more hours'.

As for the pipe, very very nice! What a beauty!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

As always Brad, killer pipe. Hey you are indeed going to be in Chi-Town again this year right? I am bringing a shitload of Sam Adams with me this time ;)
BDP

Post by BDP »

John,

What was that room number, and where is the churchkey?? Buuuurrrrppp!
May I have another??

Brad 8)
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, that is a beautiful pipe Brad! I love the shape and the grain. and the color and finish look fantastic too.

I really want to try a bulldog or Rhodesian soon. For my last attempt at a pipe (my third), I tried a Rhodesian, but it showed tons of major symmetry issues, especially where the top and bottom angles on the bowl meet (I should say where they're supposed to meet). I ended up having to bail on the original shape I had planned and went with more of an egg shape. Maybe next time I'll do better, but I'm wondering if this is just a really tough shape to do without a lathe, or maybe I'm just looking for excuses? I seem to have major symmetry issues on everythihng!

Well, this beautiful Bulldog of yours has me wanting to try again. Great work!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

BDP wrote: What was that room number, and where is the churchkey?? Buuuurrrrppp!
May I have another??
Brad, are you a Mighty Mighty Bosstones fan by any chance? Crap, now I have that song running through my head....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
BDP

Post by BDP »

Kurt,

I have no idea who that is...am I a lyricist and unaware of it?

Scott,

I am a thirty-plus year friend of Charles Wheeler, and I believe I met you at his place one time. I hear he was a bad influence! :angel:

Brad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

BDP wrote:Kurt,

I have no idea who that is...am I a lyricist and unaware of it?
In my head I seem to have merged two songs: The Bartender's Song, and 365 Days

From The Bartender's Song:
"thank you sir, can I have another?
we've really grown to like each other
I like this beer, and your friendly face
I've really grown to like this place"

From 365 Days:
"I'm empty of answers
don't nobody search me
the long neck's a twist off
you don't need a church key
I'm still full of questions
but can't quite see clear
twist off another"

Hey, anyone bring any beer to this party?
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
sethile

Post by sethile »

I am a thirty-plus year friend of Charles Wheeler, and I believe I met you at his place one time. I hear he was a bad influence! Brad
Oh yes, well that takes me back a few years. Yes, Charles got me started with pipes all right. And he did it very well! And he was the best man at our wedding, and a darn good friend early on. Not a half bad guitar player. He had the nicest pipe collection I've ever seen, even though the last time I saw it was almost 30 years ago! Gosh, it's been a really long while. I need to look him up. Drop me a PM with his E-mail address if you have it.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

I haven't heard the bosstones since like sixth grade! Nice work on the pipe, I would love to try a rhodesian but I think it is too exacting for where I am at right now. Great job.

Josh
BDP

Post by BDP »

Josh,

Thanks. I guess I don't have to ask whether you will be at the Chicago show! Make sure you say hi.

Brad
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Yeah, I'll be there. It iz the weekend befor I gradooate fram kaulledge, prays the Lord! I think it will be hard to say hi to everyone here at the forum, though, since I identify most of you by various pipe shapes (or in some cases assasin/sniper cats). But it will be good to finally put some faces to all of these names.

Josh
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Okay, I'm only, what, two days behind the times? I just now got a good look at the pipe, and all I can say is "Yum".

I don't why I'm saying "Yum", but there it is. That's a masterful execution if I ever saw one. It's Danish, undeniably so, yet is also undeniably a bulldog/rhodesian. I love the way the top of the shank meets the bowl. It's almost like the shank was just wandering along doing it's thing and *smack* it ran into the bowl. The lines on the bottom of the bowl speak of well-planned execution - either that or happy accidents, not sure which. Either way, it's extremely interesting.

And, of course, I'm always impressed by your crisp lines, Brad. The bowl/shank junction, the vertexes of the shank, and the transition lines on the bottom of the bowl. Amazing. I have no idea how you keep them that crisp all during sanding and polishing.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
marks

Post by marks »

I got the opportunity to meet Brad and see his work in Richmond last year. Based on what I saw, as good as his pipes look in pictures, they are not even close what they look like in person. The lines, shapes, etc. are excellent. This bulldog is a striking pipe in the pictures, and I am sure that the pictures are not even close to what the pipe would look like in person.

Well done.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I was sitting next to Todd at the NASPC show last year, and he had a few of Brad's pipes with him. It was torture sitting next to them all day, and not getting to smoke one.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
BDP

Post by BDP »

Hey Thanks Guys,

Praise from one's peers is always a pleasure..

Kurt,
I was lucky enough to get the smooth Tornado back from the purchaser to dial in the mouthpiece thickness a little thinner for him, and got permission from him to smoke it while it was here. Actually, he sent both the smooth and the sandblasted, and I got to smoke both. I can't tell you how much fun it was to smoke two of my own pipes that I'll never be able to afford! It's great having such an accommodating customer. Have you ever had that opportunity?

B
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

BDP wrote:Kurt,
I was lucky enough to get the smooth Tornado back from the purchaser to dial in the mouthpiece thickness a little thinner for him, and got permission from him to smoke it while it was here. Actually, he sent both the smooth and the sandblasted, and I got to smoke both. I can't tell you how much fun it was to smoke two of my own pipes that I'll never be able to afford! It's great having such an accommodating customer. Have you ever had that opportunity?
No, unfortunately. The only pipes of mine that I gt to smoke are either too heavily flawed to sell, or are the experiments that don't go right. :) I did happen to get a rather nice tiny dublin-ish pipe last month. A flaw opened up on the side during blasting that was *way* ugly. I decided to keep it.

And those pipes with flaws in the tobacco chamber smoke just fine - even after a couple years. 8)
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com