Forstner and Taper Bits

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
custom300

Forstner and Taper Bits

Post by custom300 »

I'm getting ready to order Forstner and taper bits from Bitsnbores.com. Has anyone had any experience with the Fisch or Fuller brands? I know some of this is trial and error, as to what works best, but I sure don't want to start with cheap bits.
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Jamie,

Form my limited experiences their taper and brad point bits are good. You'll find a lot of carvers on here use them. They are sharp and drill quite accurately, or at least the ones I've used. I can't say anything about their forstner bits. I ordered a couple recently but got backordered and haven't gotten them yet.

David
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I order my bits from www.leevalley.com . I have used them for about 2 years now without any sign of them going dull.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jamie,

It's very important to get "precision" forstner bits. They won't leave grooves on the shank, and won't leave a concave or convex surface. I don't recall if the Fisch forstner bits are precision ground or not. I got mine from Woodcraft (I have a store local to me), but for the life of me I can't recall the name. I can take a look later and see if I can find a name on the shank of the bit. I'm tempted to say that they are Fisch, but I'm not certain.

As far as taper bits, the ones that bitsnbores sells are great. I think that Fuller is the main manufacturer of them these days, and they make a superior product.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com