Back to the garage...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ScoJo

Back to the garage...

Post by ScoJo »

Okay, so last July I posted pictures of my 7th pipe. In August I started working on #8. Then life took over - I traveled for business, we worked with a contractor to get our basement finished. It got cold, and I didn't go out to the garage to work for a long time. This past weekend I picked up the pipe I started working on, and I realized one reason that I put the thing down in the first place: I had screwed up the stem fit pretty badly.

To get back into the groove, I decided I would at least finish the thing to the point where I could smoke it while I got out a new block for a fresh start in 2006 to work on #9. Last night I fired up #8. I didn't spend the same amount of time on finish work as I had in the past, especially since I was kinda upset about the stem fit. In order to get it looking somewhat correct I ended up having to sand the face of the shank by hand (typically a no-no since the forstner bit, if used correctly, should provide a nice flat surface that you just can't get by hand).

Well, here is #8. It's okay, but the stem fit is bad and the block was pretty much devoid of any interesting grain. One of these days I'm actually going to graduate and move to something other than the $6 ebauchons I got to start this hobby with. Just not very interesting wood. Maybe I'll wait until I get this mortise drilling/tenon turning part down a little better, though...

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

ScoJo,

That is a pretty cool looking shape. Even with the problems you had it looks pretty good.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com