Pic of My Humble Shop

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ArtGuy

Pic of My Humble Shop

Post by ArtGuy »

I had some people ask if I could post pics of my shop and the tools I use to make pipes..... so here they are. Messy but it works. It might be cool to have a thread where people post pics of thier studios eh? :)

Workbench and Jet Mini Lathe:

Oneway Scroll Chuck with Block to be Drilled:

Taig Micro Lathe with 4 Jaw Scroll Chuck ( I have since turned the motor around and tool rest is on opposite side)

Cheap Band Saw from Menards:

Shop Mascot

Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

ArtGuy,

Thanks for sharing! I love seeing pics of other artisans' shop.

I noticed on the wall behind you Jet Lathe what appears to be your "finest work"! She's a cutie!

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Yeah she's a cutie alright. She just turned 4 years old. I have recently replaced that picture with some conceptual drawings of pipes. She noticed and started to whine "Awwwwww where is my picture??????"

I told her it was still in the shop but just moved but she insists that it be in that spot fromt and center lol.

I was talking to Munkey about the worktable in the CPS chat room. So here is the 411 on that. (If anyone is interested)

I was told by a very wise pipe carver :) that you need a very stable and heavy table if you are going to turn blocks on a lathe so.... that is what I shot for (Anything worth building is worth over-building right?)

The work surface is 22" x 48" and constructed of 2 layers of 3/4" particle board that are glued together with "Liquid Nails" subflooring glue. That is then glued and screwed with 3" wood screws to a 2 x 4 frame.

The legs are (2) 2 x 4 's glued together with the Liquid nails and screwed together with 3" screws as well. They are in turn glued and screwed to the top just inside the frame.

There is a 2' x 4' piece 3/4" of particle board attached to the back acting as both a brace and a back splash for the bottom shelf. That bottom shelf (not in the picuture) is built with 2 layers of 3/4" board just like the worktop.

The entire thing is put together with 3" wood screws and anywhere wood is in contact with each other is glued with the sub flooring glue. The glue comes in a chalk like tube so I then went and "cauked" every seam with the leftovers. I built the bottom shelf thick so that I could store (3) 40 lb bags of water softener salt on it for added wieght. I do not know how heavy the whole thing it. I would imagine, with the salt and lathe, at least 400 pounds.

I can turn an eccentric block on the lathe at the highest speed (3900 rpm or so) with nothing but vibration. ( I do have to make sure anything not bolted to the tabletop is removed or it will walk all over the place) The lathe, of course, is bolted to the table top.

I thought briefly about putting threaded rods in the concrete floor of my garage and bolting the whole thing to the floor but thought that was a bit extreme.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

ArtGuy,

Sounds like quite a table! I am impressed that it will do 3900 with a block. I haven't tried mine at that speed, but I must say that if I did I would be wearing a catcher's mask when I tried it! It scares me just thinking of trying it! :D

I have quite a different table set-up, as you can probably tell in the photos of my shop. I usually turn at around 800 rpm, and at that speed I have no vibration. I have spun as high as 1750, as I recall, and there was some wobble. Just out of curiosity I may try 3600 with the block I currently have chucked up just to see how it does.

Thanks for sharing about your table.

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I tell you Tyler, the heart will begin a racin' when you see that block start up at 3900 rpm and think about putting a tool to it!

Scared the heck out of me when I did it the first time and every tool on my bench looked as if it has come alive and was running for its life lol.

I have only dabbled with turning a bowl, though. I can hardly say I am good at it. I shape the vast majority with a disk sander.

If you get the notion, stummel turning would be a great video project :)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Actually, I have the camera ready and I will likely turn a block tonight. I have already video'd the drilling of the draught hole and mortise, and turning the bowl is next.

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Cherry is smokable and it is pretty darn cheap.
omar_colocci

Post by omar_colocci »

Here in Brazil there's a small company making pipes of Grevillea Robusta, if I'm not mistaken (don't know the common name in english) and they work wonderfully providing a very cool and tasteless smoke.

It's very lightweight and the wood is clear colored. I have a few pipes of such wood, one of them I reshaped myself. I can post a pic of it. This material is VERY cheap here.
Regards,

Omar Colocci