Pipes of February

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
costi

Pipes of February

Post by costi »

Image Made of wild apple wood with dear horn inlay.
Image Made of morello root with dear horn inlay.
Image Made of wild cherry with dear horn inlay.
Image Made of wild apple.
Image Plateaux briar.
Image Wild cherry.
I hope to make 4 more this month. Feel free to comment upon my new pipes. Best regards and feel free to visit www.nivelzero.ro/gabospipes.
Costin Gabos
custom300

Post by custom300 »

Costin,

Beautiful pipes. Please indulge me for a minute, as I am just beginning to make pipes. (actually just researching now and have some briar on the way). I noticed you selected other woods besides briar. I am revealing my ignorance, :oops: but can pipes made of other woods be smoked successfully...and secondly, if not briar what are the most common alternative woods.

Thanks
Jamie
costi

Post by costi »

Hi Jamie,

I'm glad that you liked my pipes. I'm not a big pipe smoker but I smoked with pipes made by me from wild apple and cherry and they seemed much better then my other cheaper pipes made of briar. For smoking bouth apple and cherry are very good, but as for appearence the pipes made from cherry are looking more beautiful, due to his texture and "mirrors" that appear on the wood. On what regards the processing you have to know that it is harder, cherry has a greater essence then briar. I have tried other essences of wood like oak or hornbeam, but it seems like the qualities of cherry and apple are best aproaching to briar's structure. If you want more details, don't hesitate to ask for my help. Tomorow I will post a topic with my newest cherry pipe...hope you'll like it.

Best regards, Costin
www.nivelzero.ro/gabospipes
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Very nice Costin.

I really love the shapes, nicely executed.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com