Worked out a New Rustication

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
JSPipes

Worked out a New Rustication

Post by JSPipes »

This year I worked out a new rustication. A pipe I sold earlier in the year came back to get rusticated after the owner saw a sample.

I used a small carving gouge, then a 1/4" flat chisel, followed by a tool I made out of a #2 phillips head screwdriver. I ground it flat at the widest point and then used a dremel to make 4 spikes.

Anyway, it came out pretty well. Let me know what you think. Here's a link to a picture: http://www.jspipes.com/PipeMaking/Rustication/done.jpg

In case you're curious, the shank extension is wenge, stem is cumberland. It has a delrin mortise lining. This was the 1st cumberland stem I ever made and only the 2nd stem.

The pipe is sitting on top of a kevlar glove. I bought it this morning before I rusticated. Those chisels are sharp! Would have cut myself 5 or 6 times without it.

Joel
marks

Post by marks »

Nice looking pipe, and I like the rustication.
becometheunknown

Post by becometheunknown »

Hey that was really neat. As a beginer pipe maker who buys very cheap pre-cut briar and has yet to learn how to follow the grain of the briar to make a beautiful pipe, I think I would like to try your rustication technique! (I'm not hinting that you cover up poor grain, I'm just hinting that I will...) Now do you need to wet the briar before you start to chisel it? and what does the 4 prong once-was-a-phillips tool do? It seems the pipe in your pictures didn't change too much from the second chizel you used to the 4 prong.
Sorry- I'm a real newbie and kinda need extra instructions to get this stuff down. (what I really need is an apprenticeship...)
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

No, not wet!

The last chisel, the homemade tool, is used to introduce more of a random look. The flat chisel often results in a bunch of scalloped cuts. So I use the last one in order to get rid of those.

Joel