Don't Wanna Sell?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
JSPipes

Don't Wanna Sell?

Post by JSPipes »

How often do you make a pipe that you want to keep for yourself?

I just finished a stubby blowfish type shape (5 inches long, 2 inches high) with a cumberland stem. Great wide open draft, and quite comfortable to hold in the mouth (I tested for bit comfort during shaping). The shape came out exactly as I wanted (slightly assymetrical). I want to keep it but can't afford to!

Here's a link to a pic: http://www.jspipes.com/Pipes/0605/0605Composite.JPG

This is the 2nd or 3rd I've made that I really wanted to keep. I guess this is the downside to our hobby/living.

Joel
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Very often. But, I've learned that those pipes that I *really* want, usually sell rather quickly, so I tend to hold off on them.

That said, right now I'm working on two that will become mine. One was a special request that I finally got around to making, and I uncovere a hug flaw in the side of the bowl after I had it all rough shaped. It really snuck up on me. But, it's still smokable, and I've already fastened a bamboo shank to it, so I'll sandblast it, and smoke it myself.

I'm also working on an experiment with bent bamboo, and that pipe will be mine since I discovered some things you should *not* do when you want to bend bamboo. But it's a rich experiement, I took the opportunity work out a couple things dealing with ivory just so that I'm not expeirmenting on a potential customer's pipe.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

Joel, don't have that problem, well because I am not good enough to sell any. :oops: But hey, I love everyone I make. :D
marks

Re: Don't Wanna Sell?

Post by marks »

JSPipes wrote:How often do you make a pipe that you want to keep for yourself?

Joel
All the time. Matter of fact, I just delivered two such pipes to my retailer today.

What I have decided is that I will keep at least one pipe from each year that I make them, sort of a visual history of my foray into pipe making. Typically, the one's I end up keeping are the ones with a pit inside the bowl. I don't let those go to paying customers.
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

For me it's around one pipe in five that I really want to keep. It sucks when you have to say goodbye.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com