Lets Talk Dust Collection for a Mometn

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ArtGuy

Lets Talk Dust Collection for a Mometn

Post by ArtGuy »

What do you guys use for dust collection? And Tyler, what is that hood you are using in the turning video to collect dust with. Is that made for dust collectors or did you adapt something else?
Jeffery_Suter

Post by Jeffery_Suter »

John,

Currently, I'm using a shop vac, with a "scoop" type attachment that it came with... I just clamp it where I need it for disc carving and I will simply be able to hook that to my belt sander, as it has a dust port...

However, when I'm in my studio in the house, I'm just using a box on the floor and a tack cloth on laid out my apron... low tech, but keeps the room fairly dust free...

I wear a dust mask as much as possible, of course... VERY important!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Mine is just the Delta portable dust collector. No modification, simply the unit as is. It is a decent little collector, but I would like something with more umph that I could create a full system with. As it is, my garage gets pretty dusty. (I don't have anything hooked up to me belt sander, so that isn't helping things at all.)

Tyler
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

My dust mask collects *lots* of dust. ;)

I have no dust collector to speak of. As you can imagine, every vertical surface in my office needs cleaned every few days. I wish I could afford a dust collector, but my wife needs a new computer more than I need that convenience.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

I've been blowing saw dust out my nose lately. Might get as few masks.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

With the nasal snuff it would be hard for me to tell if I am blowing any briar dust from my nose :) . I use a shop vac now and am looking for a hood to attach to it.

I have found that I no longer smoke a pipe while turning tenons on my taig. A ribbon cut piece of rubber falling into your burning bowl of VA flake to get your attention in a hurry 8O
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I collect all sorts of dust:

briar
oak
pine
bunny's

:D :D :D

Seriously tho, why does everyone clean it up? I don't clean mine up but like once a month (if that)... I like the smell of it when I go downstairs. However, I do have the convenience of being the only one that goes into my workshop so I can keep it how I want it. I'm in my basement, with lots of storage so I put up a few tarps hung from the ceiling to keep dust off of the stored items.

See: http://www.scofield.cc/pipes/html/workshop.html
marks

Post by marks »

Based on a review in Fine Woodworking magazine, I bought a Penn State 1.5 hp dust collector with the 1 micron bag. I have been very satisfied. My shop stays much cleaner than before. I still have to go through and vacuum the fine dust that settles everywhere about every other month or so, but it is a huge improvement over my shop vac.

Plus, if you are not careful, this thing will suck a stummel right up. I learned this the hard way, and now have a small dent in a pipe that I kept for myself. It has a grate inside, so the stummel did not hit the fan, and was easy to retrieve.

I have been pleased with the purchase.
Nick

Post by Nick »

LOL!