Stain Question

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
hazmat

Stain Question

Post by hazmat »

For all pipes I've made to this point, I've used the PIMO powders and denatured alcohol. I want a better stain with larger variety of tones, etc.. I've looked at woodcraft.com, but I'm not sure which are proper for my uses. They all say "water soluble" and I don't like the water-based stains on my stummels. Any help is appreciated.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Woodcraft's TransTint dyes are also alcohol soluable and work quite well with a little more color range. Any alcohol based dyes will work well, won't raise the grain of the stummel or add any "toxic" residues to the pipe. Another choice is alcohol-based leather dyes (fiebing's) and they come in a broader range of colors. I get mine from Pipemaker's Emporium but any leather or shoe shop should carry some of the Fiebing's colors.

Thats the extent of my knowlege of dyes/stains. :D There are probably other methods and materials used by other I'm not familiar with.

Hope thats a little help!

David
Gary_Gill

Post by Gary_Gill »

I too have used the leather dyes with good results.
Gary
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

I use Fiebings that I get from a Tandy leather place down the road from me.

http://www.tandyleather.com/

Best,
Dave
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

thanks, guys. I'll check a couple of these sources out. By the way.. what IS this Pipemakers Emporium that you speak of... sounds like a place I need to familiarize myself with.
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

http://www.pipemakers.org

Pipemakers Emporium carries a decent supply of most things you will need for pipe making. My dealings with them have been very satisfactory.

David