Self-centering vise

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
flix

Self-centering vise

Post by flix »

Anyone use this Grizzly H7576 vise?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7576

What do you think of it? is it worth $129.95?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hey Flix,

I got one from Harbor Freight a couple of years ago. It was 40 dollars but they don't offer it any more. And it wasn't the same vise.

If you need a self centering vise, I would go for it. This is the first one I have seen lately that wasn't *real* expensive.

Rad
marks

Post by marks »

If you are going to use it on a drill press, make sure you take good measurments before buying to make sure the crank handle clears the end of the table on the drill press.

However, in looking at the picture of the vise, you will have to make an adaptor table in order for it to be secured to your drill press, so you can probably make that tall enough for the handle to clear.

The self centering vise I got has one bolt groove on each side right in the middle of the vise (like this one does). I made my adaptor table by gluing together two sheets of very thick plywood and drilling holes in the appropriate locations so I could attach the vise to the plywood, and the plywood to the drill press table. Works great, and I have had no adverse issues.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Pooka wrote:That's a cool vise, and I'd love one. But I'll tell you, it ain't nothin' compared to the COOL thing Talbert's got in his shop. It's AWESOME. swivels, rotates to fit odd pieces, I want one of those!!!!

R.
I've seen some 3-axis rotating vises like that:

Or like that:

First one seems to make more sense, since the "workspace" always stays somewhat more centered to the point of interest – the drill. Second one reminds me of some high precision tripod heads for prof. photography. It easily takes the wood away from the drill…

But I never came across those with a self-centering vise. Though to some extent, that might be impossible. If you look at the first one, a self-centering device would elongate the top part, so that it could no longer completely be turned 90 deg – at least for one axis. Would be possible to apply with the second one, with the issues mentioned.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

If you are going to use it on a drill press, make sure you take good measurments before buying to make sure the crank handle clears the end of the table on the drill press.
Hi Mark,

I easily solved that problem by turning my table to the side enough that the handle hangs over the side when the vise is bolted down. :wink:

Rad
Skip

Self centering vice

Post by Skip »

I bought one from Harbor freight and it was not worth taking home. I then bought one through MSC and it is what you expect, great.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Skip,

Do you have a link or part number for the MSC vise? I'm always looking, just in case I ever need to get another one..

Thanks,

Rad
flix

Post by flix »

Marks, Rad,

How about if I just took the handle off until ready to torque down, then re-install and use? I could also rig up a large butterfly knob to torque down, since my piece wouldn't need too much torque. What do you guys think?

Hey Pook,

I'm sure the vise you saw is perfect, but, since I'm just starting out I think I'll just get the less expensive one first...if my wife warms up to it, if you know what I mean, bro'.

Thanks guys!

--flix
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hey Flix,

Here is what I did:

I found a place on my drill press table that the vise could bolt down into those grooves that are provided and with the handle hanging over the side, so it can turn freely. Using the grooves allows you to still move the vise around a little bit when the bolts are loosened.

Next, I put my 5/32 smoke hole bit in the chuck and lowered it into the little diamond shaped hole that's there between the jaws of the vise when they are fully closed. Lock the chuck there with your head stop. Center the bit in that diamond front to back and tighten the bolts holding the vise to the table. Now your table still moves side to side, so you can center the drill bit side to side by moving the table. When it is centered side to side, lock the table in place, and you're done!

Hope this helps. :D

Rad
marks

Post by marks »

My table is pretty large, so I had to make a spacer/mounting board. Luckily, the drill press vise has a rod style handle, so I turn half a turn, move the rod, repeat. Not really a big deal for me as my annual production is Rad's weekly production. :wink:

Flix, if your work arounds do not work, you can always build a spacer table, so either way, you can make this thing work. FWIW, self centering vises take all the guess work out of hitting the center of a block, and making the draft hole hit the bottom of the chamber dead center. Just make sure the briar is square before you drill.