Chubby

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
NvilleDave

Chubby

Post by NvilleDave »

The wide boxwood trim ring looks like a wedding band slipped onto the shank. :D

The pictures don't really do the blast justice--it looks really nice.

Let me know what you think.

Dave
Last edited by NvilleDave on Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That is a *sharp* looking pipe. I love the contrast that the boxwood gives between the stem and shank.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Dave...what can I say...I am envious. That is a beauty! Awesome Awesome Awesome job...wow!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Thanks you guys... I had a hard time selling this one to Elliston's. Someday I'm going to make a pipe for myself.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Problem is that if you are like every other pipe maker I've talked to you, you make one for yourself and won't finish it like you will the other's. I'd recommend just taking one off the for sale list after you've made it.

It's the only way...!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

And incidently... you know that a wedded chubby could very easily have double meaning... right? :oops:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Dave

That is one beautiful pipe. Are you willing to share what it sold for?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

bscofield wrote:And incidently... you know that a wedded chubby could very easily have double meaning... right? :oops:
Ben,
No, I had no idea about the meaning (I edited my post until I figure it out). I did a google search and didn't find anything. :dunno:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

NvilleDave wrote:
bscofield wrote:And incidently... you know that a wedded chubby could very easily have double meaning... right? :oops:
Ben,
No, I had no idea about the meaning (I edited my post until I figure it out). I did a google search and didn't find anything. :dunno:
Oh, I don't know that it was worth editing the post or changing the name for... perhaps I should have put a smiley afterwards. "Chubby" was the word I was referring to anyway. "Wedded chubby" just added to that.
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:Dave

That is one beautiful pipe. Are you willing to share what it sold for?
Craig,
I sell my pipes to Ellistons wholesale--they put a price of $250 on it. Incidently, they sold it to a customer yesterday--it spent all of 3 days in the case.

Wholesale is not where I want to stay and I look at Elliston's as advertisement. The owner and manager are GREAT people and are doing a fantastic job of showing my work.

Dave
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

bscofield wrote:
NvilleDave wrote:
Ben,
Oh, I don't know that it was worth editing the post or changing the name for... perhaps I should have put a smiley afterwards. "Chubby" was the word I was referring to anyway. "Wedded chubby" just added to that.
Doh! Ok, now I get it...
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I know, I know... way too sophomoric of a post! But... I'm also not the only one out there that thinks that way! If I hadn't mentioned Nick would have :p
marks

Post by marks »

Very nice pipe Dave. I can see why it sold so quickly.

One question: how are you attaching/securing the shank trim? I've been wanting to do something like this, and I have some guesses on how it is done, but how are you keeping it secured to the pipe. Thanks.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I wish I had a chubby.

Sorry, I've been holding off on saying that for days! But i just couldn't resist it any longer
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

marks wrote:One question: how are you attaching/securing the shank trim? I've been wanting to do something like this, and I have some guesses on how it is done, but how are you keeping it secured to the pipe. Thanks.
I cut a recess on both sides of the band just like the one you see on the end of the shank when the stem is removed. One side of the cap slips over the end of the shank (and is epoxied)... the recess on the other side accepts the stem.

Dave
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick wrote:I know, I know... way too sophomoric of a post! But... I'm also not the only one out there that thinks that way! If I hadn't mentioned Nick would have :p
Nick wrote:I wish I had a chubby.

Sorry, I've been holding off on saying that for days! But i just couldn't resist it any longer
Told ya!