Bending stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
damtender

Bending stems

Post by damtender »

I'm about to make my first attempt at stem work. Have read all your comments about airhole diameters, cutting the slot etc. and hope I understand these choices. So, when and just how do you bend a stem? I've heard of using an alcohol lamp, a hot sandbox and several other ideas. I've ordered a heat gun that is advertised to reach 1000 deg. which, I understand, is way over the 200 deg. needed for lucite. If using a sandbox and thermometer what temps. should you want for lucite, cumberland and ebonite or they all about the same? And, just when is it time to do the bending? Thanks, Jon
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Jon,

I have only used ebonite, so my answer will be limited to that material. With that said, I bend my stems after the shaping is done and all I have left is sanding with 320, 400 and 600. I bend my stems with a good ole' candle. I think you will find the majority of ebonite stems are bent using an alcohol lamp. I don't have an alcohol lamp and have not taken the time to try to get one. The candle works fine from my experience.

Hope this helps!
-Bryan
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I think acrylic/lucite needs a bit over 200F, but I prefer a heat gun in any case. The trick is learning to use whatever you've got, and sticking with it because experience is the determining factor in whether you get a nicely bent stem or one with a bunch of tiny angles. I like the heat gun because it has a nice spread of heat so I don't have the worry of bubbling the surface (once the right heat setting is attained) yet I can localize the heat enough to avoid heating the tenon area too much.

The idea is to heat carefully, not to try too hard to bend before the material wants to give, and not to try to do too much at once. Lucite is tricky until you get used to it, because it has no spring like vulcanite does. It'll be rigid right until it bends, and then it bends very easily, and if you don't have it heated over a large enough area you'll get a sharper and more localized bend than you wanted.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I used to use a heat gun but found that I like an open flame much more. The reason for my switch was because I did not have a nozzle for the heat gun and it's opening was about 2" in diameter. So, because of that I was not able to concentrate the heat in as small of sections as I would have liked to have done. Now having switched to open flame (I don't have an alcohol lamp, i just use a candle) I do have to make sure I spread the heat out since it is the complete opposite of the heat gun. But I'd rather be able to take my time and bend more than accidently bend too much.

But that's just my take and how my heat gun works.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Like Jack, I use a heat gun for all my bending. I started with a candle, and didn't like the results. I also tried alcohol at one point, and couldn't make it work how I wanted it. But that's just the way my brain and hands work, your millieage may vary.

One thing to remember is to HAVE PATIENCE. Bending either lucite or vulcanite can be tricky business. If you try to heat the material too fast you'll burn the stem and cause bubles that extend below the surface. Once that happens, you might as well toss that stem because you'll never get them out. Overheating vulcanite can also result in a material that takes on more if a brownish color. I suspect that has to do with some oxidation, as well as microscopic bubbles that result from the vulcanite "boiling".

I set my cheap-o Crafstman heat gun on "high" and hold the stem about 4-6 inches from the nozzle while constantly rotating the stem. It takes a little time that way, probably about 90 seconds to get it where I need it, but the heat is much more even and gentle. It also heats over a wider area, allowing for a more graceful and gentle bend without over-stressing areas that are not hot enough.

As for timing: I typically sand up to 400 grit, bend the stem, then sand at 400 again and work my way up through the grits.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

KurtHuhn wrote:Like Jack, I use a heat gun for all my bending. I started with a candle, and didn't like the results. I also tried alcohol at one point, and couldn't make it work how I wanted it. But that's just the way my brain and hands work, your millieage may vary.

One thing to remember is to HAVE PATIENCE. Bending either lucite or vulcanite can be tricky business. If you try to heat the material too fast you'll burn the stem and cause bubles that extend below the surface. Once that happens, you might as well toss that stem because you'll never get them out. Overheating vulcanite can also result in a material that takes on more if a brownish color. I suspect that has to do with some oxidation, as well as microscopic bubbles that result from the vulcanite "boiling".

I set my cheap-o Crafstman heat gun on "high" and hold the stem about 4-6 inches from the nozzle while constantly rotating the stem. It takes a little time that way, probably about 90 seconds to get it where I need it, but the heat is much more even and gentle. It also heats over a wider area, allowing for a more graceful and gentle bend without over-stressing areas that are not hot enough.

As for timing: I typically sand up to 400 grit, bend the stem, then sand at 400 again and work my way up through the grits.

hahaha... :lol:

Kurt and I do the opposite for the same reason... :think:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

bscofield wrote:Kurt and I do the opposite for the same reason... :think:
:D

Ask 12 pipemakers how to make a pipe, and you will get 12 different, and sometimes contradictory, answers. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I do it exactly as Kurt decribes. Do not forget to put a pipe cleaner through the stem to aviod closing the airway
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Do you guys use green tripoli on your stems or go directly to the sandpaper?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I sand them to 400 then bend it. Sand with 400 again and then buff with Red Tripoli, White Diamond and then a dry buff sans compound
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I sand them to 400 then bend it. Sand with 400 again and then buff with Red Tripoli, White Diamond and then a dry buff sans compound
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

John, what is the "dry sans buff compound" you are referring too? Just curious because I always feel like my buffing really sucks and your pipes look like they are wet, they are so shiny. Arrgghhh.....
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

The last buff I use is one that has never touched compound. I just call it a dry buff.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Oh yeah...I got ya...duh! That did not click the first time I read it and on top of that, you have told me that before. I think I am getting old.
-Bryan

www.quinnpipes.com
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

I use exactly the same method as Kurt, and use the fluffiest cleaner through the stem while heating.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
marks

Post by marks »

My method

Candle, three cleaners in the airway, sand through 1200 grit, white diamond buff, very light dry buff, tan ultrafine compound buff, very light dry buff.

Kurt was right, ask 12 pipemakers.....
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Candle, sand to 1000 grit paper then white diamond wax and Carnuba for Ebonite or Cumberland. I don't use a pipe cleaner in the stem, though I understand why, I've never had an airway collapse on me.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Sand to 400, buff with tripoli, bend with heatgun (I've never used cleaners in the airway. If you're closing/constricting the airway while bending, you're probably bending too far), touch up with 600, rebuff with tripoli and then white diamond.

JG
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

You know, I have forgotten to insert the cleaner before and had no problems. I guess I always have because I had always been told to do that.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ArtGuy wrote:You know, I have forgotten to insert the cleaner before and had no problems. I guess I always have because I had always been told to do that.
I had read the cleaner thing, but not until after I had already bent stems. I've never had an issue with closing airways so I never did the cleaner thing. But I've definately never done an severe bends either, nothing more than 1/2 bent I don't recall...