It got a little warmer in the shop....

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
imjred

It got a little warmer in the shop....

Post by imjred »

The temp outside was too cold to work in the shop until earlier this week.
I was able to finish these, they may not be too exciting but I wanted to get some comments.

The bowl grain was kindof' cool, it is almost spiral...

I still need to coat the bowl on this guy (but no buttermilk in the house :? )

I am ready for comments, what do you think?
jeff

Post by jeff »

I think that they are nice looking pipes. More and better photos would be helpful, of course.

I will comment only on the first two, because I find them the most attractive of the lot. The first is an interesting dublin/poker confluence. That it has interesting grain seems evident from the top, but is otherwise unclear because of the shadow and lack of perspective. I particularly like chamfered bowl and think that it is a nice touch.

I think the billiard is the best of the group. The finish is very nice it looks like it has been executed with a fair amount of confidence. I would like to see less of a cant on the bowl. If you're going for a classic billiard, I'd recommend checking out pp. 56-7 of the spring 1999 edition of P & T. It was recommended to me and I duly commend it to you. The article lays out certain requisites that should be present in a billiard and should prove helpful in future pipes.

I hope these comments help.

Best,

Jeff
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I too like the billiard the best...nicely done! Jeff's full of hooey on the cant of the bowl though. Its fine. 8) :p

You'll read in said P&T article that it is supposed to cant forward 3-5 degrees if I recall correctly. One sure way to make a billiard look wrong is to give it no cant.

Tyler
marks

Post by marks »

Nice work. I particularly like the rustication on the bottom pipe. Deep and craggy.
imjred

Post by imjred »

Thanks for the comments! Sorry about the poor pictures, as stated here before it looks like pipe photography is yet another skill that must be refined.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Tyler wrote:I too like the billiard the best...nicely done! Jeff's full of hooey on the cant of the bowl though. Its fine. 8) :p
No, I'm not full of hooey, but I'm planning on filling myself with it later on tonight. :wink:

Jeff
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Jeff,

If you are able, could you post tomorrow and let us all know how the hooey was?

Rad