Latest pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
munkey

Latest pipe

Post by munkey »

Here is my latest. I still have some finish/detail work to do (especially on the stem). Overall length is just under 5", the bowl is 1.5" tall. The stem is sub-3mm before the button, and 4mm happens about 1/3" from the button. This is another comfy clencher.

Last edited by munkey on Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Munkey...WOW. Very good looking pipe! I love the finish and the cumberland stem is very nice. Love the shape and size of it also.

Great pipe!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

How did you do the rustication?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Ditto on the rustication question...

I guess, ditto on your comments about working on the stem. The flare at the end of the shank (on the cumberland) doesn't look out of place (IMO) it just too dramatic. I'm not sure what I'd feel about the "bubble" portion of the stem if you changed the flare at the end.

There's also one thing that I see on the pipe as a whole: It all has a simple elegance that's thrown off by the stem portion (like a frill that doesn't belong there). But that's just one man's opinion (which hasn't been popular lately).

It looks like one dang nice pipe though!! Congrats, your pipes are getting nicer and nicer!

Man! You make me really miss having a workshop! :thumb:
Last edited by bscofield on Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Not a bad job for a munkey. :thumb:
munkey

Post by munkey »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:How did you do the rustication?
I used a small dremel bit, I'm pretty sure this is the one:
Image(link)

I held the bit at about a 45 degree angle so I got a sharp "v" edge at the top of the bit. Then I just scraped varying patterns and randomly crashed the cutting head into the briar to achive the texture. It is a fairily light rustication as far as depth, which is what I was going for as I didn't want to make the walls too thin.
Last edited by munkey on Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munkey

Post by munkey »

bscofield wrote:The flare at the end of the shank (on the cumberland) doesn't look out of place (IMO) it just too dramatic. I'm not sure what I'd feel about the "bubble" portion of the stem if you changed the flare at the end.

There's also one thing that I see on the pipe as a whole: It all has a simple elegance that's thrown off by the stem portion (like a frill that doesn't belong there). But that's just one man's opinion (which has been popular lately).
Thanks for the input, you've got me mulling that over. When the pipe was naked briar and smooth the flair on the stem seemed to flow better, but now with the rustication and the dark stain I agree that this might need some more attention.

Sorry to hear you don't have a workshop currently, that stinks! Do you know when you'll have access to a shop again?
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Very nice munkey.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes :wink:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

munkey wrote:
bscofield wrote:The flare at the end of the shank (on the cumberland) doesn't look out of place (IMO) it just too dramatic. I'm not sure what I'd feel about the "bubble" portion of the stem if you changed the flare at the end.

There's also one thing that I see on the pipe as a whole: It all has a simple elegance that's thrown off by the stem portion (like a frill that doesn't belong there). But that's just one man's opinion (which has been popular lately).
Thanks for the input, you've got me mulling that over. When the pipe was naked briar and smooth the flair on the stem seemed to flow better, but now with the rustication and the dark stain I agree that this might need some more attention.

Sorry to hear you don't have a workshop currently, that stinks! Do you know when you'll have access to a shop again?
Not until I either:

A- get a house (not for at least 7 months)

B- get offered a place to use from time to time localy. I had a few great offers from some guys but they are so far away that it's like a "maybe I'll get there once or twice before I get a house" type of distance.
marks

Post by marks »

That is a very nice looking pipe. I really like the rustication.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Nice!

That can't weigh anything. It is very similar to the recent small clencher I made. If you stick that bowl on a piece of bamboo, you essentially have the pipe I made. I'll try to take a photo here in a minute and post it on another thread to show you how similar it is.

Tyler