Hiway's Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hiway

Hiway's Pipes

Post by hiway »

Hi,

I just signed up last week. I've been reading the posts. Lots of good information getting exchanged here. I have photos of two of my latest (if I get this picture posting thing right). Honest evaluations are welcome.

These are my first pipes with good quality straight grain briar. The top one has a natural edge although it doesn't show in this pic. I've made just over 50 pipes since I started last October. It's lots of fun and challenging as well.

Dave :D
jeff

Post by jeff »

I'm not able to see them either. Check the link, it might not be the one that village recommends using.

Jeff
hiway

Post by hiway »

Darn computers. It looks fine to me when I'm logged onto the Village website. So the pic link only works for someone logged on. I'll have to find the public area and try again. sorry for the trouble.

Dave :?
hiway

Post by hiway »

Ok, I think this will work.

It works in the preview mode so I will post it and hope for the best.

Dave
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very nice indeed. I like the forward cant of the bowl on the second pipe alot. Although the stem bend seems just a bit off. Maybe just bent a bit too much. Nice staining on both pipes.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I can't see the pics!! I'd love to too because the pipe in his avatar looks GREAT!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

hiway,

Welcome to the group!

I'll add a few comments on your pipes. Let me begin by saying that they both nice looking pipes!

My main comment is the same for both pipes. The bottom line of the pipes do not have a continuous line. Both are such nice shapes that I think they woulc be quite good with this little tweak. The top pipe is better in this regard than the bottom one, but even the top one drops down to have a small pooch on the bottom of the bowl. I recognise that this move allows for more briar at the base of the bowl, but I do not think it is worth it unless the pipe is severely over-drilled and you have no choice. Just keeping the lline of the shank all the way through the bottom of the bowl would make this much more elegant, IMO.

As for the second pipe there are two line changes along the bottom line. The pooch is there on the bottom of the bowl, as with the first pipe, and there is then a constant diameter for an inch or two before a steep taper just before the bend. Again, I recommend a constant line along the bottom. Also, for this pipe, as someone else suggested, I think the bend is just a fraction too much.

Clearly though, those are nice pipes. I am picking rather fine nits, but I am doing it because that is what I would want done for me. And the point of the board is for us all to get better at this craft! :)

Good job.

Tyler
hiway

Post by hiway »

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
What color stain is that on the top one?
I tend to build up layers so I started with light tan for several coats then added a drop or two or oxblood then finished with a couple of drops of medium brown. When mixing I use a shot glass and start with an eyedropper full of the base (usually the lightest) color. I keep applying stain until the stummel is saturated. I use Feibing alcohol based leather dyes.
I like the forward cant of the bowl on the second pipe alot. Although the stem bend seems just a bit off
Yes, it appears so. In real life it is proportionate to the top of the bowl. I have just learned something about photographing pipes. Because of the angle I shot the picutre at it looks like it is bent too far.
I don't care for the first one, that's just personal taste, never have cared for that type of shape.
I agree, it's not my favorite either. The size and shape of the block and the grain pattern dictated it.
Is the bowl drilled vertically or is it drilled with a forward cant
Very slightly forward but not as much as the outside of the bowl. When I do this shape again I will use a more tapered bit as I ended up with slightly less wood than I like around the bottom front of the bowl.
The bottom line of the pipes do not have a continuous line.
True enough. I'm still working on that. They are not overdrilled but I will have more wood to work with if I drill the tobacco hole shallower and angle the draught hole slightly upward.

It's great to have some strong feedback from the makers point of view. I'm looking forward to many interesting posts.

Dave :D :D