some pipes I have made lately

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
MikeStanley

some pipes I have made lately

Post by MikeStanley »

Hello all. I have put several new pipes I have been making on my wes page. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to post pics here. I would welcome and comments or advise. The stem shank joint is still problematic for me.
Mike Stanley

http://mikes-pipe-site.tripod.com/on_th ... .album?i=6
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Mike,

Are you sanding the shank and stem with the two attached? Are you buffing the pipes after finishing the same way?

It looks like the edges are rounding on both the shank end and stem "shoulders". If the two are sanded and buffed while attached, this won't happen.

Hope this helps.

Rad
MikeStanley

Post by MikeStanley »

I usually sererate the two when shaping and sanding. Usually together when buffing. Thanks for the tip!
Mike Stanley
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Mike,

If you keep the stem attached and lined up properly when sanding and shaping, you'll have a good flush fit.

In order to keep them nice and round, rotate the stem 180 degrees between grits.

Rad
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Rad

That's a great suggestion to rotate the stem to the shank 180' when you change grits. I always finished that way, but between grits is a better approach than what I've been doing.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Rad

That's a great suggestion to rotate the stem to the shank 180' when you change grits. I always finished that way, but between grits is a better approach than what I've been doing.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com