Second Briar Pipe - Stampede

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
gngrmn7

Second Briar Pipe - Stampede

Post by gngrmn7 »

I enjoyed making my first pipe, and I learned quite a bit from the experience.
I had hoped it would be reflected in my next project, and I believe it was.
Nearly 6 months later, I wanted to make a pipe for my father who was the catalyst for my interest in pipes.
I wanted to make it from as close to scratch as I could.
No predrills, no rough shape: raw briar, raw horn and a stem.
All materials from Vermont Freehand BTW, a great site.

Once again, it is an unorthodox shape. I didn't use any of the usual pipe dimensions or styles.
I wanted it to be angular and stand out proud from the mouth of the smoker.
I set to work on the block of raw Grecian Ebauchon, finalizing the shape in my mind as I went.
I like to finish one half of the pipe along the centerline of the piece before I duplicate the shape on the other side.
I have no clue if that is couth, would be interested to hear about other processes of hand shaping (no lathe work to get symmetry, don't have one...yet).
It was all done with a Dremel and other hand tools.
Bowl and draw hole were all lined up and drilled by hand (used a spade bit for the bowl). Still thank God that they were true and matched up almost perfectly.

I added a ring of ox horn to match the aggressive shape.
The stem is black and red acrylic.

I was initially going to finish the pipe with a very dark stain, but once I saw the beautiful grain of the briar, I know I had to go lighter.
I found that Danish oil was a common sealer to use for a natural look, and I think that turned out spectacular.

It is still a newbies work; the symmetry isn't quite right, there are a couple deeper scrapes that I was afraid to fully sand out.
I believe it is an improvement though.

PXL_20230618_184632499.jpg
(922.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PXL_20230629_235741997.jpg
(394.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PXL_20230725_025438707.jpg
(1012.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PXL_20230725_025454944.jpg
(652.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PXL_20230725_025445340.jpg
(789.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DocAitch

Re: Second Briar Pipe - Stampede

Post by DocAitch »

I am sure that your dad will be happy with this pipe. It looks smokable.
Because of your unorthodox shape, it is difficult to comment on the esthetics of the pipe, nor is there a transition to critique.
However I can see a mismatch of the shank diameter and finish from the stem.
I am pretty sure that you worked the shank while the stem was not connected as evidenced by the rounded over shank end.
The stem should only be separated from the stummel for very specific reasons and the junction of stem and shank should never be worked while they are separated- this includes rough shaping down to fine sanding finishing and polishing.
If you are truly interested in learning how to make a pipe, I suggest that you make a billiard and post it here in the Gallery. It will also help those who are critiquing if you post the views suggest in Premal Chheda’s sticky. I can guarantee your that when you can make a decent billiard, you will have begun to master the skills that you will use for any shape of pipe.
The making of the billiard will teach you to deal with shaping, the aesthetics of proportion and symmetry, the cutting of the transition and the proportion's of stem to stummel, as well as staining and finishing..
I also assure you that you can shape a billiard without turning it on a lathe
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy