Dye in Chamber

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
CKelly

Dye in Chamber

Post by CKelly »

I had a mishap last night and got a considerable amount of dye in the chamber. I tried cleaning it out as much as I could with alcohol and it faded a bit. Will I be able to sand this out? Will it be safe to smoke if some residual dye is still in there? This pipe is for my cousin, so I'm sure he won't be bothered by the residual dye marks. I just want to know if it's still safe to smoke. TIA!!
Attachments
IMG_20221027_063415384_HDR.jpg
(469.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
LatakiaLover

Re: Dye in Chamber

Post by LatakiaLover »

No worries in safety terms.

A number of commercial makers used to "dip stain" stummels, in fact.

Not recommended for appearance reasons, and (I suppose) could outgas microscopically the first few smokes and give an odd taste, but that's it.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

You should be able to sand it out. The stain doesn’t go very deep.
These are sanding mandrels made from dowels. They are turned to chamber shape and slit to accept a piece of sandpaper which is trimmed and taped.
These particular ones have lag bolts in the end to chuck in a hand drill, but now I just use the dowels and chuck them in the lathe.
You can also use them by hand- which might be better. Start with 150 grit and then to 220. I usually leave them at 220, but you can go as high as you want.
I also use them for reducing cake in estate pipes, as you can see from the left center two.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

DocAitch wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:59 pm You should be able to sand it out. The stain doesn’t go very deep.
These are sanding mandrels made from dowels. They are turned to chamber shape and slit to accept a piece of sandpaper which is trimmed and taped.
These particular ones have lag bolts in the end to chuck in a hand drill, but now I just use the dowels and chuck them in the lathe.
You can also use them by hand- which might be better. Start with 150 grit and then to 220. I usually leave them at 220, but you can go as high as you want.
I also use them for reducing cake in estate pipes, as you can see from the left center two.
DocAitch
Those are nice, Doc! Now I want to make some. I do it the hard way by hand with sandpaper wrapped around a regular dowel now. These would be more efficient.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Yup.

Even the factories have never figured out a better way:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.