applying sandpaper to Rudat Design french wheel

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Massis

Re: applying sandpaper to Rudat Design french wheel

Post by Massis »

caskwith wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:07 pm I also started cutting back on the power of the motor. My current sanding motor is only 200W (it might be 250W, I can't be arsed to go check), so about 1/3rd HP and I find it plenty powerful enough for my needs and keeps the electricity bill low.
And here I am running two 1.5 kW motors... But I got both of them for €25 so it'll be a LONG while before they justify buying another motor. I've been running these 2 for about 10 years now.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Nothing wrong with that if you are happy paying the bill! lol
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

caskwith wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:59 am
dogcatcher wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:28 pm Odd man out. Go to harbor freight, find the 9 inch angle grinder then with a 9" backing pad for sanding discs using PSA Sanding disc's. Search on line for a speed controller for angle grinders.

Put it altogether and create a mount for it. Buy discs from Klingspor woodworking. End result, CHEAP and it WORKS.
DO you currently use this method? I can't imagine it working very well myself based on my experience with angle grinders.
Chris I share your skepticism for such a set up with an angle grinder, but I just visited Jason Beveridge- (J Everett Pipes) here in Maryland, USA and while nosing around his shop I spotted his rough shaping set up. The angle grinder has a variable speed capability.
Jason says he has used this set up for 4 years and has no complaints,
I can attest that Jason is an excellent pipe maker. I have 4 of his works, and am a pretty picky judge of such matters.
He hangs out on Pipe Smoker’s Dens under the nomme de pipe of Cramptholemew, where you can examples of his work.
R/
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy