Hello all from Kansas

Tell us who you are.
Ashauler

Hello all from Kansas

Post by Ashauler »

Years a pipe smoker: 10+
How you got into pipe making: I'm just now preparing to dive in and joining here was the first thing to do. Without doubt I will F plenty of stuff up, so rescue resources are a high priority for me.

It's not my goal to be a professional pipe maker, I just want to be able to craft a reasonable pipe for myself and perhaps some friends. I really enjoy pipe smoking so I figured there is little reason for the tools I own to just hang there and wait for something to do, might as well give them a purpose other than the odd construction project or furniture repair.

Other interesting facts: I have my great-grandfathers tool chest, passed down to me from my Father, that contains many old hand drills, files, saws etc. It may take me a ton of time, but once I have learned the basics of shaping from a pre-drilled block, I would love to craft a pipe from briar block using only these tools.

I've been around forums for many years and am a devotee of read more/post less as well as having an intimate understanding of the search function. I will hopefully not be "that guy" in any way. This will likely be my longest post on the board for a long, long time.
LatakiaLover

Re: Hello all from Kansas

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ashauler wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:01 pm
I have my great-grandfathers tool chest, passed down to me from my Father, that contains many old hand drills, files, saws etc. It may take me a ton of time, but once I have learned the basics of shaping from a pre-drilled block, I would love to craft a pipe from briar block using only these tools.

You are in good company.

A drill press was the only power tool Baldo Baldi had in his shop, and after a while that fact became an asset---a selling point---for his brand.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.