Pipe #17. Rusticated Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brownleafbeardsman

Pipe #17. Rusticated Billiard

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Hey, pipe makers!
Yesterday I finished up my first pipe that I rusticated. I am happy with the results and I will pursue them! I am saving up for a sandblasting cabinet, but it feels good to have a go-to method until then, as well as the normal "nail-digging" rustication.
So, when making my first stem, I filed through the airway. This is the first time I've done this, so I'm taking it as a learning experience.
*after this, I started filing down with a very thin drill bit sticking out of the airway, to keep a good eye on the inside diameter of the airway. This really helped*
Unfortunately, when I was filing the second stem down, I went a little too far on one side, and didn't notice this until after it was buffed and completed.
*im still trying to work on putting the pipe down, taking a break, and coming back with fresh eyes*
So, after it was all completed, I had to go back and hit the other side until it was even on both sides, and this ended up with the stem concave on both sides.
I thought this would be better than the stem looking like it was deviating to one side. :?

This is a classic billiard, and the results in terms of technicality aren't the best, but I wanted to share with you guys anyway, to show you the rustication. I know your opinions are brutal, and a little bit more honest than what comes with Facebook. :)
Any feedback or critiques are welcomed. Thanks, guys.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.44.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.44.40 PM.png (315.24 KiB) Viewed 933 times
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.44.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.44.22 PM.png (286.13 KiB) Viewed 933 times
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.43.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.43.56 PM.png (287.49 KiB) Viewed 933 times
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.42.41 PM.png
(312.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.42.07 PM.png
(299.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wdteipen

Re: Pipe #17. Rusticated Billiard

Post by wdteipen »

I like the rustication. It's deep yet maintains the shape of the pipe. Nicely done.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Given your level of experience that's an excellent result. :D

The shape lines "within" the actual jaggedy surface lines are held well. Meaning this sort of thing:

Overall proportions are good, and there's no sag(s) or bulge(s) in the stem's side profile.

Sucks about the button width/inward taper of the stem, but discovering the treacherous stuff by getting bitten is the fastest way to learn.

Regarding stem flare/outward taper, here's a repair example of a stem with a pleasant-looking amount of flare to aim for for future billiard-y pipes you might make. It has Danish overtones, but is more attractive than a sudden trumpet flare (convex sides), and more comfortable than "dead straight plus only a smidge" (which is the pure & original English standard).

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

Pretty well done overall. The only critique I have is that it looks like the bowl/shank transition could be just a hair tighter. Might want to get some betters' feedback on that though. Nice job.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
brownleafbeardsman

wdteipen wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:41 pm I like the rustication. It's deep yet maintains the shape of the pipe. Nicely done.
Thank you, Wayne!
brownleafbeardsman

LatakiaLover wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:41 pm Given your level of experience that's an excellent result. :D

The shape lines "within" the actual jaggedy surface lines are held well. Meaning this sort of thing:

Overall proportions are good, and there's no sag(s) or bulge(s) in the stem's side profile.

Sucks about the button width/inward taper of the stem, but discovering the treacherous stuff by getting bitten is the fastest way to learn.

Regarding stem flare/outward taper, here's a repair example of a stem with a pleasant-looking amount of flare to aim for for future billiard-y pipes you might make. It has Danish overtones, but is more attractive than a sudden trumpet flare (convex sides), and more comfortable than "dead straight plus only a smidge" (which is the pure & original English standard).

Thanks, George. Yeah, I'm trying to take all mistakes and learn from them, trying to avoid them in the future. I have been wondering what is the best way to do a stem. I've been doing them straight, as you are mentioning, the English standard. I have been wanting to try a very soft flare as the one you have done there. It looks incredible!

Thanks for the feedback! :)
brownleafbeardsman

JMG wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:02 am Pretty well done overall. The only critique I have is that it looks like the bowl/shank transition could be just a hair tighter. Might want to get some betters' feedback on that though. Nice job.
Thank you, JMG! I'll do my best to get those dead on. It was a little hard on this one as I couldn't sand them together. Thanks!