Pipe #14, another Freehand.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brownleafbeardsman

Pipe #14, another Freehand.

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Hello, all. I have been making a good number of billiards. I wanted to go with something different, so here is another freehand.
I know that’s it’s hard to critique since I can claim that it was meant to be.
On this one, I just tried to take the tips that Sas gave me on my last one, when I had made a macaroni art freehand lol!
So on this one, I tried to go with less spontaneity, just went for a ball shape without any natural edges; and no rim dip.

Any comments or critique are welcome.

P.S. I have two billiards in the making right now that I am very excited to share with you guys. I might be getting ahead of myself; but on this next one, I feel like it is the closest I’ve gotten to a “classic billiard”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brownleafbeardsman

Re: Pipe #14, another Freehand.

Hello, all. I have been making a good number of billiards. I wanted to go with something different, so here is another freehand.
I know that’s it’s hard to critique since I can claim that it was meant to be.
On this one, I just tried to take the tips that Sas gave me on my last one, when I had made a macaroni art freehand lol!
So on this one, I tried to go with less spontaneity, just went for a ball shape without any natural edges; and no rim dip.

Any comments or critique are welcome.

P.S. I have two billiards in the making right now that I am very excited to share with you guys. I might be getting ahead of myself; but on this next one, I feel like it is the closest I’ve gotten to a “classic billiard”.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 1.51.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 1.51.29 PM.png (374.22 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 1.50.56 PM.png
(240.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 1.51.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 1.51.11 PM.png (442.58 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 1.50.46 PM.png
(456.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 1.50.32 PM.png
(450.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Lots to like there, bowl shape is nice, simple design overall..... The biggest eye-jerk for me is the angle and position of the stem insertion vs the line and overall shape of the shank - it's drilled high, and the angle is too low, the curve indicated by the shank is not followed up on by the stem. If it had been, you might have been able to carry more curve on the bottom of the pipe (this is the other visual problem here, the bottom of the pipe has a pretty long flat spot between curves which should probably be continuous).
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

IAWS

Some "illusory" improvement of the off-axis drilling can be made by removing some material from the bottom of the shank.

Also, the flatness of the bowl above the shank clashes with the sphericalnicity-ness of the front. (nothing to do now about that, though)

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
brownleafbeardsman

Sasquatch wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:14 am Lots to like there, bowl shape is nice, simple design overall..... The biggest eye-jerk for me is the angle and position of the stem insertion vs the line and overall shape of the shank - it's drilled high, and the angle is too low, the curve indicated by the shank is not followed up on by the stem. If it had been, you might have been able to carry more curve on the bottom of the pipe (this is the other visual problem here, the bottom of the pipe has a pretty long flat spot between curves which should probably be continuous).
Thank you, Sas. I appreciate the feedback. While shaping it, I was so focused on getting the shape of the stummel right, I didn't focus much on the flowing line of the pipe. It seems like it takes a ton of practice to keep all aspects in mind at one time. I'll try to keep in mind in the future!
brownleafbeardsman

LatakiaLover wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:37 pm IAWS

Some "illusory" improvement of the off-axis drilling can be made by removing some material from the bottom of the shank.

Also, the flatness of the bowl above the shank clashes with the sphericalnicity-ness of the front. (nothing to do now about that, though)

Thanks, George! I see exactly what you guys mean. I don't know why I thought that would like fine on the bowl, but I can definitely see how it would be more aesthetically pleasing with a more symmetrical front and back of the tobacco chamber. Thanks so much! :D