My best effort so far

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Maddwarf69

My best effort so far

Post by Maddwarf69 »

Chunky billiard, with buffalo horn accent. Note, I didn't make the stem, just modified a pre-made one. The horn is through bored, and fits full length on a tenon on the shank. Please, pick it to pieces :D
By the way, excuse the mess, and crappy photography.
wdteipen

Re: My best effort so far

Post by wdteipen »

I think a thinner shank would make the overall composition better. As it is, the shank makes the bowl look smaller than it is. A little less rounding of the rim would give it more definition. It looks like it can't decide if it wants to be a Dublin or a pear shape. But it's definitely not a billiard. That said, there's a lot of nice things going on with this pipe. The horn shank extension appears to be well done and the finish looks pretty decent. Best of all, you sanded your tobacco chamber.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Maddwarf69

Re: My best effort so far

Post by Maddwarf69 »

wdteipen wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:17 am I think a thinner shank would make the overall composition better. As it is, the shank makes the bowl look smaller than it is. A little less rounding of the rim would give it more definition. It looks like it can't decide if it wants to be a Dublin or a pear shape. But it's definitely not a billiard. That said, there's a lot of nice things going on with this pipe. The horn shank extension appears to be well done and the finish looks pretty decent. Best of all, you sanded your tobacco chamber.
Thanks for the pointers. Some decisions were dictated by the horn, and some by what I had on hand. I've learned a lot reading other threads, and incorporating that in my next project.