My first attempt at a pipe.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
brownleafbeardsman

My first attempt at a pipe.

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

So, I had worked a little bit on making a stummel out of cherry, and it came out alright. I decided to try my hand at using briar on my jet wood lathe. This was grecian makis briar. I used a premade acrylic stem(which is too long, but is the only one I had lol). This pipe was kind of just a random sketch on the briar, that looked sort of billiard-like in the sketch, but came out looking a bit like a straight pot. I'm happy with it for my first attempt. :D

For future pipes, I will try to design a pipe and stick to the design.

Also, I tried buffing the pipe with carnauba, with a drill buffing wheel, for some reason the carnauba got built up on the wheel and I think the is what added those scratches. :/

Any input is very appreciated.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.53.04 AM.png
(677.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.54.02 AM.png
(913.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.53.35 AM.png
(890.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.54.20 AM.png
(810.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sasquatch

Re: My first attempt at a pipe.

Post by Sasquatch »

I can't imagine those deep scratches being made by a waxing wheel, more likely they were there but not really visible until polishing (same happens when you stain).

So, make another, sand it like hell, try some stain and see if you find the same thing happening.

Stem fit looks good, now everything else is just practice.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
brownleafbeardsman

Re: My first attempt at a pipe.

Post by brownleafbeardsman »

Thank you, Sasquatch. It appears that you are right, they were probably just there and not very noticeable until after, I just made a second today, completely with hours of hand sanding, and no scratches to be seen. Thank you!