Spiral shank re-stem

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
LatakiaLover

Spiral shank re-stem

Post by LatakiaLover »

You guys have seen enough re-stems on this repair board to last awhile (which is why I haven't posted many lately), but this project has several educational tidbits buried in it.

The root problem in this case was a nearly 7-inch long 80-gram pipe with a long, flattened shank that presented very little shank face, a .250" tenon to allow that shank design, and Italy's finest Crumble-Matic garbage acrylic having been allowed within a hundred miles of it. :evil:

Here is the critter:

Eye-catching doesn't begin to describe the famous design. Amazing, isn't it?

The issue with the original stem can be seen here. The tenon didn't even have the dignity to snap off, it disintegrated.

This next pic shows you what to avoid---any molded blank or cylindrical section of that glassy stuff with the tall, shallow, rectangular slot. See the square edges? Run :lol: Notice also how the material around the slot has chipped away from mere pipecleaner wire. Finally, look closely and you can also see radial cracks in the roof of the slot from tooth pressure. If the tenon hadn't quit, the bite zone soon would have.

So, what was the fix? A new stem, of course, but what about the .25" tenon on a 7-inch, 80-gram pipe problem?

Sleeving with stainless to reinforce was one option, the other was to use the same material Iron Man's helmet is made from: Mike Butera's proprietary super-duper mondo stem stuff. It's blacker, much stronger, and somewhat lighter than even the best of the readily avalable varieties. I chose option #2 to keep things simple.

(Why the company that produces Mike's stem material doesn't sell it generally is because it's absurdly difficult to cut and shape, plus it's impossible to bend without using special techniques. It's an absolute royal pain in the ass except when a design or application must have what it does best, in other words.)

Here's a chunk of it:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ocelot55

Re: Spiral shank re-stem

Post by Ocelot55 »

Wow....

It takes a lot of guts to even attempt that kind of repair. It takes a lot more skill to actually pull it off!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Definitely tricky.

The good news is those FTPs (famous twisty pipes) are so expensive that those who have one (maybe a hundred people on Earth?) tend to take good care of them.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Wow! That's super-impressive as usual, George.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You come back, maybe two hour!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Post by JMG »

George, your skill level is in a whole different universe.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:24 pm You come back, maybe two hour!
Last year at the St. Louis show Lee and I talked for a while about what was required in shop terms to create his more elaborate designs. At one point he asked me to guess how many hours went into a Spiralizer. I figured 20, but adjusted down a bit to allow for his having had lots of practice and time to optimize the process, so said 15-16. He just looked at me for several seconds with that dead-eye gunslinger gaze that's his trademark, finally smiled, shook his head, and said, "I wish. Those things are killers. It's 20-25. And when I first started making them it was well over 30."

Having messed with it a bit now myself, I can believe it.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Dammit, I don't have the skill OR the patience.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!