Billiard Attempt Based On Information Provided From My Last Attempt And The Comments Shared

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
shikano53

Billiard Attempt Based On Information Provided From My Last Attempt And The Comments Shared

Post by shikano53 »

I did not use any example for this, but the Ropp billiard I purchased as suggested by Sask has since arrived in the mail. Thank you Sask for your advice. It's good to be able to hold the Ropp and feel the lines and contours in my fingers.

Here is my critique of my current billiard project. I wanted to post a picture now so that upon any critique I receive may still be made while the pipe is in this state of shaping.
It does not appear that there is any cant that I can see and the rim needs tweaking and flattening/shaping.
The dimensions are good except the stummel to shank intersection is a 1/4" longer than the height of the bowl from the shank
Although I did not take more pics, drilling is bang on and I think the shape is OK.
A bit more material left at the chin, and a bit more material to be taken off on the rear of the bowl at the bottom.
That's all I can see at the moment.
All comments are appreciated.

Also, I'm wondering if someone could please tell me how to correctly cant the billiard. This billiard was too high, so I cut a 1/4" off the top of the bowl and I think I took too much off and have lost what ever cant I may have had. I do not know if it is possible to cant it at this stage of it's build or what to do with the rim.
Here are the dimensions of the pipe
Sasquatch

Re: Billiard Attempt Based On Information Provided From My Last Attempt And The Comments Shared

Post by Sasquatch »

Why do you think the bowl was too high? And show us the Ropp too!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
shikano53

Re: Billiard Attempt Based On Information Provided From My Last Attempt And The Comments Shared

Post by shikano53 »

Here is a picture of the Ropp and my billiard front to front.
Here is a picture of mine with the 1/4" more or less that I cut off.
And here is a picture more or less with the ring I cut off sitting more or less on my billiard.

I cut it off because I didn't want it to be a stacked billiard.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice pot!
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You took 1/4" off, leaving the bowl... 1/4" short compared to ... not the Ropp, but compared to the whole rest of your pipe (which is longer than the ropp). If you are using that Ropp as a guide, the whole pipe has to be the guide. So yours it pottish now, bowl too short for the shank and stem, and it doesn't have anything like the barrel shape (at this point it's almost a dubin) that the Ropp does have.
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks for the encouragement last week, Steve.
"Stiff upper lip and all that."
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That Ropp has a nice bowl shape. The shank is pretty fat, it would be called an LB in the Dunhill catalog. And yet I'll bet if I break it down in terms of proportion, it's really exact. Lemme try.

I draw a line from the top of the bowl to the shank. I draw the same length of line from the bowl along the shank. That's our theoretical "right shank length" on the proper billiard. If I stop there on this pipe and draw that yellow line, notice where it is in relation to the whole pipe. RIGHT in the middle. So we can see that this particular pipe has an elongated shank, and a correspondingly shorter stem, but the proportion of the pipe, in total, is still bang on.

Don't worry about any details or designations. Make a super simple pipe and follow the basic factory billiard formula. Your error, if you will, on this current pipe is that you made a 6" long billiard and wanted the same bowl height as you have on a very chubby 5" billiard. They are entirely different pipes.
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Fall down 14 times, get up 15. :D
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

If I may ask, could someone please explain to me how to drill the bowl so it is canted?
I'm still confused on how it's done.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Are you drilling the bowl first or the shank first?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

shikano53 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:09 pm If I may ask, could someone please explain to me how to drill the bowl so it is canted?
I'm still confused on how it's done.
It's really easy. When drawing the lines on the side of your block, draw the center axis of the tobacco chamber canted forward by about 1.5 degrees (or 1 degree, or whatever looks about right).

Here the bottom example is canted forward by 1.5 degrees for ease of illustration. The top is a perfect 90 degree intersection.
forward canted bowl.PNG
(16.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
When drilling, I tend to drill the airway and mortis first, then rotate the block to drill the tobacco chamber. In my setup, it's as easy as following the lines - line up your drill bit axis with the line you drew, and go to town.

The ACTUAL SPECIFIC answer to your question varies with regard to your drilling setup and what tools you use, but that's basically it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks Kurt, I didn't see this until now and just posted the same question over again. I will delete my post.
Thank you again.
Kind regards
Chris
NPS

Post by NPS »

Sasquatch wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:28 am That Ropp has a nice bowl shape. The shank is pretty fat, it would be called an LB in the Dunhill catalog. And yet I'll bet if I break it down in terms of proportion, it's really exact. Lemme try.

I draw a line from the top of the bowl to the shank. I draw the same length of line from the bowl along the shank. That's our theoretical "right shank length" on the proper billiard. If I stop there on this pipe and draw that yellow line, notice where it is in relation to the whole pipe. RIGHT in the middle. So we can see that this particular pipe has an elongated shank, and a correspondingly shorter stem, but the proportion of the pipe, in total, is still bang on.

I'm quite lucky that I have a good eye for proportion.....quite a bit of experience as a design engineer and far to many years with a CAD program I think!.....but that was really useful for when I want to copy a particular shape of a pre existing pipe....thanks...much appreciated.

I found this really useful

Don't worry about any details or designations. Make a super simple pipe and follow the basic factory billiard formula. Your error, if you will, on this current pipe is that you made a 6" long billiard and wanted the same bowl height as you have on a very chubby 5" billiard. They are entirely different pipes.