Know something about tools & electricity?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Know something about tools & electricity?

Post by bscofield »

Can someone tell me if there is a safe way that I could perhaps change the voltage to a motor that is a non-variable speed and get it to run slower? Does the motor have to be designed that way or can a person put in their own switch to limit the current?

I'd love to be able to slow down my belt/disc sander when I'm doing fine tuning with the belt... ya know? :think:

Anybody know? :dunno:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The short answer is "maybe".

Some motors can be slowed with an external rheostat like the kind sold to woodworkers to slow down their routers. In those instances it works like a charm.

However, most motors you'll find on large power tools are capacitor-start motors, and require the full 110/220V to start up. Feeding it a lower voltage will result in, at best, a motor that is difficult to get going. Kind of like putting an 8" grinder motor on a 150-foot extension cord and trying to turn it on. :oops:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

KurtHuhn wrote:The short answer is "maybe".

Some motors can be slowed with an external rheostat like the kind sold to woodworkers to slow down their routers. In those instances it works like a charm.

However, most motors you'll find on large power tools are capacitor-start motors, and require the full 110/220V to start up. Feeding it a lower voltage will result in, at best, a motor that is difficult to get going. Kind of like putting an 8" grinder motor on a 150-foot extension cord and trying to turn it on. :oops:
What about putting the switch on and turning it after it's started?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have no idea if that would work, but I suspect not - at least not very well. Most of those motors are *very* finicky about voltage levels, and have relays wired in-line to control when the capacitor feeds juice into the motor. If the RPMs drop below a certain level, the relay switches on the power to bring the RPMs back up. You *might* be able to do it, if you keep it above that RPM threshold, but it may not make enough power to sustain it's rotation below a certain point.

In my opinion, you'd be better off going with something like Jack Howell posted about on ASP, and using a DC motor with a controller. You might be able to find everything you need at the local junkyard and pillaging a treadmill for parts. Search the yard sales and stuff in your area. Chances are you can find all the parts you need for very small money.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Could I hurt anything by trying?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Naw, you won't hurt anything. It'll either work it won't, basically.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hey Ben,

I don't know what you looking to spend, but I bought a variable speed bench grinder at Lowes for around $75.00. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to take off one of the grinding stones and put on a pulley to run your belt.

And, you'd still have a grinder on the other side! :)

Rad
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hey Ben,

I would resist the temptation to buy a voltage regulator suited for a router to use with your motor. I know at least one person who has tried this method and shortly ended up with a motor that was only good enough to weigh his trash bags to the bottom of the can. You're better off with Howell's DC motor idea that Kurt has suggested. Don't waste your motor.

Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

RadDavis wrote:Hey Ben,

I don't know what you looking to spend, but I bought a variable speed bench grinder at Lowes for around $75.00. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to take off one of the grinding stones and put on a pulley to run your belt.

And, you'd still have a grinder on the other side! :)

Rad
What's the slow speed on that Rad?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Ben,

Slow speed is 2000 rpm. High speed is 3450 rpm.

Rad