Howdy-do from Northeastern Pennsylvania (where they dug coal!)

Tell us who you are.
Fudloe

Howdy-do from Northeastern Pennsylvania (where they dug coal!)

Post by Fudloe »

Years a pipe smoker: 30+ years

How you got into pipe making: Third generation piper (second to live in the States. Probably 10th if we go back to the old country). I love woodworking and I take great pride and satisfaction in creating things with my own two hands.

Other interesting facts: A former touring musician, then I opened a luthier's shop (that's a fancy word for guitar builder/fixer). Never broke anything I couldn't eventually fix- I'm handy as all get-out!

I haven't so much as bought a hunk of briar, yet, so I'm dying to dive in head-first! Any tips or ideas are welcomed!
UnderShade

Re: Howdy-do from Northeastern Pennsylvania (where they dug coal!)

Post by UnderShade »

Welcome to the forum! Best place to learn the craft. Read all the intro info. Happy carving!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome.
My son in law is from Wilkes Barre, so we have spent some time there. Interesting area with a very active arts community.
The way that many of us started is with a a kit- predrilled block and fitted pre molded stem.
This give you a feel for shaping and finishing briar, and you can publish photos for a critique
There are several ways to go after you decide that you want to continue, and a huge amount of information on this forum.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Blackbeltpipes

Post by Blackbeltpipes »

Welcome from south central Pa...! I’m in York county. Get your wallet ready because you’ll need it! Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk