Two volcanoes.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Odissey

Two volcanoes.

Post by Odissey »

Good day!
I'll show you two new pipes today.
Made two volcanoes

The first. This is my thirtieth pipe.

Dimensions
Length 135 mm,
Weight - 42.5 grams.
The dimensions of the tobacco chamber are 19 x 37 mm.
The outer diameter is 43 mm.
As soon as this pipe appeared, there was a desire to make another one, because ideas appeared on how to improve it.
Second volcano.

I was just trying to improve the shape of the previous one as much as I could.
Not everything worked out as I had planned. Defects in the briar did not allow the plan to be fully realized.

The idea behind this tube was to make a line of straight strips of grain running along the widest part of the bowl to make a continuous line and continue to the end of the shank.

For this, I gave a little more attention to the widest section of the bowl. Bending slightly inside the wall of the bowl.

But it didn't work out. Defects in the briar did not allow making the shank at the junction with the bowl wide enough. And the continuity of the stripes didn't quite work out.
When I started to paint, it turned out that my favorite dark colors of the smoking pipe did not allow me to see the black accent on the shank. I had to make almost a blonde out of a smoking pipe. And on the blonde, the stripes completely faded into the background. On a dark pipe, bright stripes look better.

Parameters
Weight - 52.7 grams.
Length - 138.5 mm
Tobacco chamber - 19 x 36 mm
Outer diameter - 45.5 mm

Without a lathe, making stems is a pain. There was no longer the strength to modify the stem to the desired size and proportions. It must be placed 3 - 4 mm deeper into the shank. The ring on it should have a noticeably smaller diameter. As it is now, the stem distracts a lot of attention to itself. It seems disproportionately large for this pipe. I'll redo it a bit later.

Respectfully, Odissey
CondorPipes

Re: Two volcanoes.

Post by CondorPipes »

Odissey,

First, I'm no expert and not even a full-time carver so take my comments for what they're worth. You already touched on my first suggestion which is a smaller and more delicate ring on the stem of your second pipe but I understand the challenge without a lathe. Second, perhaps consider thinning the button a little on your stems. That said you made two very nice pipes especially for having carved so few. The little bit of plateaux left on the bottom of your first pipe was a very nice touch.

Sean