Gerry P. here. Hello!

Tell us who you are.
Gerry P.

Gerry P. here. Hello!

Post by Gerry P. »

Years a pipe smoker: Off and on since 1989, got back into it enthusiastically a couple years ago.
How you got into pipe making: I bought a kit last year, had fun making a pipe with it, and was pretty happy with the result. Recently made another, liked this result better, and decided to make pipe making a regular thing. No commercial pipe making aspirations, just for fun.
Other interesting facts: I was lucky enough to retire 9 years ago. I left the Washington, D.C. area (MoCo MD), and moved to New Orleans in 2011. I majored in Criminal Justice at the U of MD, but for my first year I was a music major/trumpet player in the orchestra and wind ensemble.

My first pipe projects were done without electrical tools except for when I applied carnauba wax with a Dremel first, then a buffing machine for the second pipe. I'll have a drill press for the next one, or maybe a lathe.
DocAitch

Re: Gerry P. here. Hello!

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome.
You are tottering on the brink of the precipice.
If you can live with the fact that most of us consider ourselves lucky to be able to pay for materials and tools, you will be a happy pipe maker.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy