Partially Rusticated Poker

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
thegingerpiper

Partially Rusticated Poker

Post by thegingerpiper »

Happy Monday Y'all!

Please find below images of my 4th pipe and my first poker. I value lightweight pipes and this is a great workshop pipe weighing in at 37g. My stem is still rough, I only filed it, yesterday, working on my next pipe I tried my new belt sander for stem shaping and got some great results, so going forward they will be better. This is my first ebonite stem, really liked working with it and will stick with it go forward.

Would love comments, I did have a little trouble getting the die to stay on during buffing, if you look at some of the raised sections of my rustication you can see the light edge of raw briar. I did a my first bowl coating also, worked pretty well.

Looking forward to your critiques!

My last pic, is my pre-production pipe drawing.

Sincere thanks,

TGP

UnderShade

Re: Partially Rusticated Poker

Post by UnderShade »

I’ll offer a few thoughts...

I would have rusticated the entire piece, as the partial job makes the pipe look unfinished to my eye. The stain isn’t an issue. Just add more and rebuff, using less pressure on your wheel. Overall shaping isn’t bad, though a little asymmetrical on the right side from the above shot.

As you mentioned, the stem is the roughest part of the piece. A little more time spent getting a smoother taper would do it wonders. It looks like you’re using a tenon tool. Go slow with those things. Otherwise, you end up with the tenon looking threaded and not smooth. Being that this is a shop pipe and a learning exercise, no harm. But if your goal is to sell, these points will definitely need to be addressed. Working rod stock has it’s learning curve, but with time, you’ll get it. I would invest in a pillar file, a nut seating file and watch ALL of George Debos’ videos on YouTube. The guy is a stem master. Good job and keep making pipes!!!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Nice pipe and I am sure that you will enjoy it in the shop.
I agree with undershade’s thoughts on the stem.
I also think that the transition could be tighter and a bit more symmetric as seen on the top down shot.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
thegingerpiper

Post by thegingerpiper »

Thank you both for the feedback.

Thanks for the stem tips, I will def get that file and watch those vids. While I do have a tenon turning tool, I just turned this tenon, I needed to sand it down more. Just turned another and sanded the marks out and went slower while turning. I enjoy turning it more that tweaking that tool.

I def would like to sell pipes eventually but not for a few years, when every part of my pipes are tight and crisp.

Both my top and bottom shots are tilted, respectfully. I think the issue there is more of a photographic issue, which I will correct go forward.

I totally agree my rustication transition could be tighter, thanks for that callout as well.

-TGP
thegingerpiper

Post by thegingerpiper »

Found George, thanks again!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The stummel part of the pipe looks pretty nice. Practice your stemwork and you'd have a winner. It takes time and repetition. I also think the pipe would look better with a longer stem for a more balanced overall composition.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

IAWW
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
thegingerpiper

Post by thegingerpiper »

Thanks Wayne,

I will try that on my next poker.

-TGP
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

For some reason I don't see any photos.
Please give me a link to a video on making a stem, I did not find it
thegingerpiper

Post by thegingerpiper »

Odissey,

It's the channel "High Grade Pipe Repair & Restoration"

So far it's great, sooo many videos. Enjoy amigo!

-TGP
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

thegingerpiper wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:10 am Odissey,

It's the channel "High Grade Pipe Repair & Restoration"

So far it's great, sooo many videos. Enjoy amigo!

-TGP
So George is LatakiaLover. I've seen it all. Thanks for the link.

Best regards, Odissey.