TheGingerPiper Pipe No. 4 WIP

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
thegingerpiper

TheGingerPiper Pipe No. 4 WIP

Post by thegingerpiper »

Good afternoon everyone,

After posting some pictures of pipes that I have worked on. I'm going to try a classic poker and have drew it up on the computer with dimensions so that I can get some feedback on that before starting. As a beginner any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I want to make sure that I have the engineering down before carving up a perfectly good piece of briar lol.

Also to understand why I drew it at the dims that I did, I love lightweight pipes that I can clench while I work.

Thank you,

TGP
Attachments
Pipe No 4 to PMF for comments.jpg
(37.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wdteipen

Re: TheGingerPiper Pipe No. 4 WIP

Post by wdteipen »

Looks like a solid design to me.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

The drawing itself looks good.

regarding the airway: I've seen you're drilling that at 4mm, then taper it in the stem to 1.5mm.
maybe someone else can comment on that, but I'd prefer 3mm or 3.5mm.

the reason is: if your tenon is 8mm, drilling through tere with a 4mm bit will make it too weak.
Again: that's my opinion.

My airways so far have been 4mm with a 9.5mm tenon. that's plenty strong. I think someone
more experienced can say if I'm overly cautious though.

you're going to use a premade saddle stem, right? in that case, the tenon is ok. If you're using a delrin
tenon that is glued into the stem, you need to make the part before the stem slimms down a little longer, so you don't
weaken the material.
The Tan Saarlander
thegingerpiper

Post by thegingerpiper »

Sir_Saartan,

I will be turning my own ebonite stem. Thanks for the callout, I will double check some tenons on pipes I have bought from makers for some reference.

Thanks!
thegingerpiper

Post by thegingerpiper »

WDTeipen,

Thank you sir! Great work btw, checked out your page and your pipes are fantastic.

Thanks,

TGP
thegingerpiper

Post by thegingerpiper »

Sir_Saarton,

So I just checked an Ashton that I have and LOVE, and the vulcanite tenon wall is only 1.13 mm, mine in theory should have 1.98.

Great call out though, keep getting me to check things that I normally wouldn't and I appreciate it.

Have a great Friday amigo!

-TGP
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

I‘m a little overly cautious at times.

That’s why I asked for someone else to chime in.
The Tan Saarlander