Airway Drilling Help

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Country Bladesmith

Airway Drilling Help

Post by Country Bladesmith »

I had been practicing on 2 x 4 scraps I had laying around, and was getting perfect drills, but as soon as I decided it was time to try to make some pipes, I ruined three blocks with off-centered and misaligned holes. I am using a drill press, I don’t have a lathe yet. Here is what I’ve been doing:
1) square up block on disc grinder
2) draw lines for draft hole and chamber
3) drill to the intersection of the lines, where the holes should meet.

Some things I think could be happening:
1) Drill press might not be square
2) Drill press vise might not be square
3) Bits are walking a small amount that is hard to see when getting the hole started, but the bend causes a more severe misalignment at the end of the hole (in other words, off by a tiny amount at the beginning of the hole, and a good bit more at the end of the hole).

Do these sound like they could be why I’m having trouble? Looking for any possible beginners’ mistakes I might be overlooking.
I’m usually pretty handy at stuff like this, so this is really pissing me off. Especially considering what the wood cost me. I’m no quitter, I will get it.
seamonster

Re: Airway Drilling Help

Post by seamonster »

Try starting the airway with stub length bits. They are shorter and will diflect less. Then switch to the longer bits. I got mine from McMaster....

Also, drill slowly. Small bites,clear chips.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

So get a good square, a try square, and check when you put something in your vise that it isn't cranking over. They do tend to.

Also 2x4 is weird stuff, alternating layers of hard and soft, it's probably easier to drill straight in briar than spruce.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Briar is more dense than two by lumber so it sounds like your airway bit is wandering. You can try what Seamonster recommends or get a center drill to get the airway direction started on center and take small bites then clear the drill bit flutes.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

You might be going to fast as well, forcing the drill and note clearing chips fast enough will cause wandering.
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

If the holes on all three damaged blocks are misaligned to one side, you will need to check the installation of the base plate of your drill press.
Install a long drill and check whether it is perpendicular to the base plate or not. It is possible that the base plate is tilted to one side or the other.
If the hole is displaced in different directions from the tobacco chamber, then most likely the problem is poor alignment of the block or you put the block skewed when installed in a vice.
I will try to make a photo report on how to get holes without offset on a drill press.
Wait two to three days I will start making a new pipe. I will have something to photograph.
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

Squaring a block on a disc sander isn't perfect.
if our block isn't absolutely square, the airway is bound to be a little off to the side.
and just a little off is enough to mess up the alignment.
The Tan Saarlander
Country Bladesmith

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I’m wrapped up with a couple of knife jobs right now, but I will definitely be checking for square on the drill press and vise. I squared the press a while back, but it is a cheap Harbor Freight. The rack gear can be moved by hand with force. Works fine for thin knife scales and such, but might not be worth it for pipes. It is starting to sound like I just need to pony up for a lathe soon. It’s something I could use anyway. Odissey, I’m not sure if the holes are misaligned in the same direction or not, as I’m not sure that I had the drill press vise oriented in the same direction each time. Looking forward to the pictures if you have time. Chris, I will definitely slow down some on the next ones. I guess I need to approach it more like I were drilling steel. Hey Sasquatch, good to “see” you. Is there a particular brand of try squares you trust? I don’t have one. I was using a combination square.
Thanks immensely to everyone that posted. I mean it. I really want to get this nailed down.
Country Bladesmith

So I went and checked the drill press. It’s off a little. I don’t know if I can blame all my issues on it, but it’s definitely in need of adjustment. I’ll go through everything else suggested, too.
n80

Post by n80 »

My drill press was an old one (80 years old) and I could never count on perfect alignment. It was always a crap shoot.

A wood lathe changed all that.
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

when I first started, I tried drilling with an old drill press. it did not work at all.
I found out I was able to drill a straight airway free hand more reliably than using
the drill press.

I agree that drilling on a lathe is a piece of cake. you know exactly where you're
ending up with your drilling before you even start. Obviously not accounting for
the frill bit wandering, but if you read through a couple of threads here you'll get
all the information you need on that.
The Tan Saarlander
RickB

Post by RickB »

I drilled my first several pipes on a drill press, and essentially built a jig out of 2x4s that mimics a pipe making chuck on the lathe - pins on the sides that allow you to clamp the block to the table, clamp the block, and then rotate it around only the axis that changes for the airway/chamber. Doing a different mortise angle was a little bit tougher, but all those draft/chamber holes were dead on.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I use a drill press with the home made clamp below. The clamp uses about $30 worth of materials, and the principle is the same as the one used on a lathe by shape first makers. The advantage is that the drill is aimed at the point in the base of the clamp, and that’s where it goes- the stummel can be any shape- no need to square a block.
Since I published that article, I have changed the set up a bit, but it is still an X, Y, Z adjustable set up- and I am now doing the tobacco chambers on this rig. I no longer use the thermo moldable plastic pillows, but still use it for the aiming dimples.
You can PM me for details and the improvements since this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11115
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy