Hibrid eggs and brandy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Odissey

Hibrid eggs and brandy

Post by Odissey »

Good day!

In my opinion, the concept of the classical forms of smoking pipes is blurred, you look at the smoking pipe and you see an apple, and the master calls it Tomato. Or worse, you see an acorn, but the master says no ... this is my egg ...
I had some free minutes at work. I don’t remember which site I climbed, either by "Scandypipes" or by "Smokingpipes". And suddenly I see in one master two, well, almost identical smoking pipes, the difference in the length of the shank, but one of them is called a pot, and the second is an apple. It completely finished me off.
Need to make a hybrid, I thought.
In general, a hybrid of eggs and brandy. Since before that I did not touch these classical forms, I decided to make two almost identical smoking pipes. The difference is in the little details. the shank and the tobacco chamber are docked differently, the top of the chamber is different, but everything else is identical.
Weight 44.3 grams
Tobacco chamber 19 x 35 mm
Smoke channel in my 4 x 50 mm
Outer diameter 46.8 mm
Length 140.5 mm
Since I am still in the process of learning, each of my new pipes is primarily an object for learning. I try to take everything that she can give me for my training from each pipe made. Therefore, my pipes usually have an excess in decor. The stem may be a little more complex than you need for a given pipe. Therefore, they are quite difficult to evaluate, because in the end, after all the work done on them, they are still not very similar to the classics.

Here is such a brandy .... with eggs.

Regards, Odissey
JMG

Re: Hibrid eggs and brandy

Post by JMG »

Pipes are nice, but the stems seem "heavy" or too clunky to me. I think if they were slimmed down it would have better proportions.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

There is definitely a problem with the stems. And she refers not only to these pipes. There is a big problem that I do not have a lathe and therefore I have to grind the diameter on the stem with sandpaper in a drill chuck. When processing the diameter, it is necessary to get into the size with an accuracy of 0.02 - 0.03 mm. All this significantly complicates the work.
I really like stems with sharp edges on the surface. Just like those on these pipes. So far I have not managed to come up with a good shape for them. Sharp edges require volume, and because of it the stem turns out to be somewhat thick. The stalks that stand on these pipes will look good on panel pipes, for the other forms of pipes they are not yet suitable.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with JMG. The stems need quite a bit more material removed if you want them to look more in line with high grade handmade pipes. The shanks on these are out of balance with the bowls in that they are too thin for the size of the bowl. I think I gave feedback on the reverse tapered shanks on another of your posts and the same is true here as well. Lots of good things going on with your pipes. A few things to work on will make huge improvements in your work. Keep at it!
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

I like talking with you. Thanks for your understanding and advice.
Regards, Odissey
n80

Post by n80 »

Really like the shape of the stummel. Agree about the stem, just needs to slim down. I think the hour-glass shape of the stem needs to be less angular and more of a gentle curve.