What to look for in a used Foredom

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
cpd2186

Re: What to look for in a used Foredom

Post by cpd2186 »

LatakiaLover wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:36 pm Almost certainly a Chinese knock-off.
How many people here shop at Harbor Freight! I would assume we all have bought items there. Didn't stop us then.........
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I use the TX model with the keyed chuck hand piece and it does everything I need. It is especially nice when I use it with the little drum sander while bringing down a shank to meet bamboo.
Although I have some of the side cutting bits suitable for cutting slots, I have found that for my purposes, hand cutting slots is still the way to control the internals of the slot. As a percentage of time, cutting a slot with a slot saw and such doesn’t add up to a significant percentage of my time on a pipe. I spend more time contemplating than doing😀, but then for me pipe making is the best hobby I’ve ever been involved in, not a business.
In answer to cpd 2186, other than the Foredom tools I have, everything but the files is Chinese.😀 (and from Harbor Freight)
DocAitch
Last edited by DocAitch on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
cpd2186

Post by cpd2186 »

Thanks Doc.....
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

cpd2186 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:31 pm
LatakiaLover wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:36 pm Almost certainly a Chinese knock-off.
How many people here shop at Harbor Freight! I would assume we all have bought items there. Didn't stop us then.........
This board serves both hobbyists and professionals.

Most professionals who have upgraded their shops over the years lament the money wasted when an old piece of gear is replaced, when they realize they would be ahead in money AND have been using something better all along if they'd bought "what they ended up with" at the start.

Those who stayed hobbyists, and those who lost interest and stopped making pipes after a while, are happy they DIDN'T do that, of course.

In short, there is no right answer anyone here can give you. It's something only you can decide based on your circumstances, plans, and your personal history of experimentation vs. committment in similar situations.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
cpd2186

Post by cpd2186 »

You are absolutely correct. I was trying to take into consideration that George is new to pipe making, which I believe is just a hobby for him (not profession) and that tool is great for a beginner.
BarrelProof

Post by BarrelProof »

Does anyone here use an SR successfully? Mine showed up yesterday along with all of my stuff to make some pipes and I’m itching to get after it; but, I want to refrain in case the consensus is that I should exchange it for another model.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

BarrelProof wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:39 am Does anyone here use an SR successfully? Mine showed up yesterday along with all of my stuff to make some pipes and I’m itching to get after it; but, I want to refrain in case the consensus is that I should exchange it for another model.

Doug535 uses a high-horsepower version of Foredom's high speed model with success. He admits it is more difficult, requires more practice, and caused several unrecoverable errors (wasted time & material) in the course of learning, but now he's satisfied.

That said, be aware that he is a technician/mechanic by trade who has worked with tools his entire life AND has enormously strong hands of steel--think alien robot hands---so is not a normal case. Even with my experience I doubt I could do what he does with his Foredom. (It's a physical control issue, not a knowledge one)

In short, how lucky do you feel today? :lol:
n80

Post by n80 »

I think the question is, can you afford to send the knock-off SR back and afford to buy an LX. If you can, then do. If the LX is out of your price range then give the SR a try. That's how I'd look at it.
BarrelProof

Post by BarrelProof »

n80 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:30 pm I think the question is, can you afford to send the knock-off SR back and afford to buy an LX. If you can, then do. If the LX is out of your price range then give the SR a try. That's how I'd look at it.
My SR is not a knock off, I bought it from Foredom. Cost is not the issue, I don’t want the wrong tool for the job.
n80

Post by n80 »

If cost was not an issue I’d get the LX. If you haven’t watched the video that George linked to then you should.
BarrelProof

Post by BarrelProof »

n80 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:39 pm If cost was not an issue I’d get the LX. If you haven’t watched the video that George linked to then you should.
I watched it. Certainly illustrates the need for controlled low speed in certain situations. Very enlightening.

But I’ve also seen guys using Dremels in other situations, seemingly effectively, and now I’m confused again. Not an unusual occurrence.

Would you guys say that, for the more intricate processes like the one shown in the video, that the LX is superior; however, for bulk material removal and rough sanding, the SR would work, too? Are you suggesting the LX for a situation where you only had one unit and feel that it’s the best all-around choice for making pipes? If you were willing to buy two of them, could you then see a benefit to having the SR in addition to the LX? Or, is the SR simply unfit for pipemaking?

I apologize for all of the questions. Unfortunately I didn’t stumble upon this website and this body of advice until after I’d made the purchase and I guess I’m itching to rip this thing out of the box and get going.

For what it’s worth - I’m asking about roughing out the pipe and initial sanding with an SR because I imagine I’ll be buying kits for some time. I don’t anticipate making my own stems any time soon, and was looking at the Foredom as a means for quick material removal in lieu of a lathe and bandsaw since I live at work and don’t/can’t have a shop here. If the SR will work for the beginning of my pipe making journey, being used to rough out blocks into starting points for sanding, while also doubling as something I can use for making decoys, then I’m inclined to go ahead and use it.

I really do appreciate the experience and opinions of everyone here and I’m not trying to seem argumentative. I guess I’m just wondering if the SR will work well for the things I intend to use it for during this initial phase, since it’s sitting right beside me and I’m not a patient guy.

Also, I’m not opposed to buying an LX in addition to the SR, when the time comes. But if the LX really shines for some of the stuff that I won’t be doing until later on, like the stem work in that video, and such, I’d rather yield to my excitement and start making pipes rather than wait another 2-3 weeks for the exchange process for the LX to take place.

However, if the pairing of an SR with pipemaking is just inappropriate, I’ll curb my excitement and try to ignore these five block kits staring at me until an LX gets here.

And seriously, I’m not trying to be the new guy who just defends his stupid purchase regardless of sound advice from people with way more experience. I’m just trying to make sure, before I return it, that it’s simply a bad option for pipemaking, particularly when I’ll only be using it for rough work on pre-cut/drilled kits for the foreseeable future AND that there isn’t even eventually a place for it on the bench as an addition to an LX - mainly because I’m wildly impatient and the thought of waiting another 2-3 weeks to start carving is nauseating.

Does that make sense?
n80

Post by n80 »

I'm not an expert on any of this and I've never owned or used any sort of Foredom tool. However, I have no problem doing rough shaping with a Dremel which is high rpm and low torque. I use it all the time and for me (hobbyist) it works fine. If that is the main thing you will be using the SR for then I think you will be fine with it.

The only reason I want an LX is stem slot work which, from what I've read, would be best for that sort of thing.
BarrelProof

Post by BarrelProof »

Impatience wins.

And, for those wondering, the SR has enough torque to break the flex shaft if you catch your glove with a hogging burr and throw your pipe across the backyard.

Foredom: 1 BarrelProof: 0

Back to the waiting game. Went ahead and ordered 4 shafts.
Adui

Post by Adui »

BarrelProof wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:55 am Impatience wins.

And, for those wondering, the SR has enough torque to break the flex shaft if you catch your glove with a hogging burr and throw your pipe across the backyard.

Foredom: 1 BarrelProof: 0

Back to the waiting game. Went ahead and ordered 4 shafts.
:shock: You're ok I assume :?: If so :lol: . If not, sorry hope its not too bad. Either way, one less lesson I have to learn the hard way?
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
dogcatcher

Post by dogcatcher »

Here is a review of rotary set ups like the Foredom. They are smaller, but well worth the money.
https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated.co ... haft-tools
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I own the Chinese SR knock off foredom. I use it for slot work exclusively, and it works great. Maybe it wont last a lifetime, but at 10 minutes of work per pipe it will last several years.
P.S. When did kurt rise from the grave?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Joe Hinkle Pipes wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:01 pm P.S. When did kurt rise from the grave?
At virtually the same instant that "Tyler" guy in Oklahoma disappeared.

As in, OK, someone's gotta ask: Has anyone ever seen them together?

Thought so.

Me? I think they're the same person. Same size? Check. Same age? Check. etcetera

The only question is WHY...

Some sort of UFO alien-based experiment is the only logical and sensible explanation, of course. I just can't figure out what it might be. :confused:
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

George, you make s lot of sense sometimes.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

LatakiaLover wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:13 pm
Joe Hinkle Pipes wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:01 pm P.S. When did kurt rise from the grave?
At virtually the same instant that "Tyler" guy in Oklahoma disappeared.

As in, OK, someone's gotta ask: Has anyone ever seen them together?

Thought so.

Me? I think they're the same person. Same size? Check. Same age? Check. etcetera

The only question is WHY...

Some sort of UFO alien-based experiment is the only logical and sensible explanation, of course. I just can't figure out what it might be. :confused:
Why else? Two VERY different lines of pipes! 8) :lol:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com